General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil and oil filer do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil and oil filer do you guys recommend?

Hello all,

Im wanting to change my oil and oil filter tomorrow! So i was wondering what you guys use? What do u guys recommend??

thanx!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM

oh and the bike is a 01 F4i

Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honda GN4 SAE 10W40 SJ

Honda factory filter.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I recammend the search feature. Everyone here will give you a different answer and opinion.

That being said whatever you pick or decide, you will want to run a 10w40 weight oil. Generally advised not to use car oils as the friction modifiers dont like our clutches (however evidently there is proof being shown now that this is not the case). Generally most use the honda factory filters, cant really go wrong there.

I would say the most common oils are:
Honda GN4 as advised above
Royal Purple
Amsoil
Shell Rotella (from Walmart)

Any of the above will be just fine.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 PM

I just changed mine a few weeks ago and i went with the Shell Rotella full syn from walmart, couldnt beat the price. My brother and his friend who both have PHDs in desiel engines said they run it in their bikes so i fig it was good enough for me, and my second gear slips out so the Rotella was a little thicker oil and it did help to hold second gear better. Nothin like an oil change to get back in touch with your bike before riding season. hope this helps good luck Dilan

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by rstitt
Hello all,

Im wanting to change my oil and oil filter tomorrow! So i was wondering what you guys use? What do u guys recommend??

thanx!
Ya know, I'm sure that there are many people here that will roll their eyes and say, man, not this question again..., Well you can't blame them because it's been asked more times than probably any other question.

I figure that you're asking because you want to take care of your bike. You want to do the right thing by it, but all your life you've heard so many different things from so many people that you don't know what to believe.

Go read this article All About Oil. Its extremely well written, easy to follow, and it will help clear up many of the garage myths you've heard most of your life. Yes, it's long but worth the read. After you do, come back here and I'd like to hear your opinion on what you think you should do. I'm serious, I'd really like to know what you think.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Ya know, I'm sure that there are many people here that will roll their eyes and say, man, not this question again..., Well you can't blame them because it's been asked more times than probably any other question.

I figure that you're asking because you want to take care of your bike. You want to do the right thing by it, but all your life you've heard so many different things from so many people that you don't know what to believe.

Go read this article All About Oil. Its extremely well written, easy to follow, and it will help clear up many of the garage myths you've heard most of your life. Yes, it's long but worth the read. After you do, come back here and I'd like to hear your opinion on what you think you should do. I'm serious, I'd really like to know what you think.

+1 while I roll my eyes dreading another oil question.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM

Ok cool. Thanx guys again for responding to my annoying question. So I decided to go with supertech filter and I tried out tge valvoline 4 stroke oil. It's working just fine. My next door neighbor(riding buddy) had an identical bike as mine(01 f4i) use the same oil, so I tried it out. My clutch seems to be working better. I think the last guy put auto oil in my car.

Thanx again guys!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard Rob.

Yeah, its one of those questions that seems to pop up all the time that gets under old salt's nerves b/c there's so much info buried in the forum on it already. Many new member's first or early questions is just like yours. No worries...you're learning & wanting to treat your bike right.

Glad you got your oil & filter changed. Hope your choices work well for you.

Once again, welcome aboard.