CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   What does the switch on the clutch lever do? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/what-does-switch-clutch-lever-do-92255/)

macka_moose 04-26-2009 05:52 AM

What does the switch on the clutch lever do?

Hi, probably a daft question - but there is a switch on the clutch lever, What does it do?
Problem we have is that we removed the ECU as a security measure when the CBR600 F was off road, now its back in the bike starts and runs just fine but when you put in gear and let the clutch out the engine stops.
Disconnected the wires to the switch and shorted them out and it works OK, so whats the switch for, and why s it turning the engine off?

Rod38um 04-26-2009 06:39 AM

Not really sure from a mechanical point of view but as I let my clutch out, that switch connects and ups the idle just a bit right b4 the clutch takes hold. I think it just preps the fuel mixture to go from idle to a load on the engine or to aid in taking off without stalling..... not sure of the intent.........

PlayfulGod 04-26-2009 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rod38um (Post 776058)
Not really sure from a mechanical point of view but as I let my clutch out, that switch connects and ups the idle just a bit right b4 the clutch takes hold. I think it just preps the fuel mixture to go from idle to a load on the engine or to aid in taking off without stalling..... not sure of the intent.........

mm no lol, its a safety switch thats works along with the kickstand safety switch. If the kickstand is down its switch wont allow the bike to start at all with the bike in gear or 'without' the clutch being pulled in, hence its lil switch. :)

macka_moose 04-26-2009 07:00 AM

Thanks for that info, the stand switch works fine. In gear, engine running flip the stand down and the engine is cut.
I wonder why that clutch lever switch kills the engine when I try to move off. Definitely that, shorted the switch out and it all works fine.
I wonder if something got reset in the ECU when it was disconnected for so long,
Any one any ideas?

PlayfulGod 04-26-2009 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by macka_moose (Post 776063)
Thanks for that info, the stand switch works fine. In gear, engine running flip the stand down and the engine is cut.
I wonder why that clutch lever switch kills the engine when I try to move off. Definitely that, shorted the switch out and it all works fine.
I wonder if something got reset in the ECU when it was disconnected for so long,
Any one any ideas?

kickstand up when you do it?

justasquid 04-26-2009 12:14 PM

the clutch switch works in conjuction with your neutral safety switch. If the bike is in gear, you have to pull the clutch in for it to start. This prevents you from starting your bike in gear. The clutch switch overrides the neutral safety switch.

kickstand up when you do it?
Im curious about that one too.

macka_moose 04-26-2009 12:24 PM

Yep, kickstand is up.
Just go to pull away and as you let theclutch out the engine cuts out.
Shorted the switch out and bike runs and drives OK.

Very strange

randyjoy 04-26-2009 12:25 PM

Sounds like a bad switch

Mr. Isy 06-23-2010 10:55 AM

Where is the neutral safety switch located?

Hondaondabrain 08-09-2010 01:26 PM

Its inside, you can only see it when you take the lever off.