General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do for winter?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do for winter?????

This is my first year with the bike, and its getting close to that time to pack it up for winter. what does everyone due to get there bikes ready for winter??? Gas, tires, battery, oil, ect???? thanks

Old 10-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Default RE: what to do for winter?????

put away for winter??? just ride it come rain or snow, ice sometimes makes me think twice, especially when i'm sitting on cold tarmac with my bike sliding away from me.

It's all part of lifes rich tapestry... and makes you a better rider.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:35 PM

the bike shop told me the best thing they found was to put about 2 gallons of race fuel in it and store it with the fuel in it..... and not to use additives.. i have never heard of that before but thats what i am doing.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:55 PM

Heres what I do.

-Fill it up to the top with fuel
-Put it on stands so the tires dont get flat spots
-Plug intake and exhaust from the rodents
-Start it once a month/retop off tank with gas

H

Old 10-12-2006, 10:43 PM

I know that the fuel system is probably one of the most critical to get right so everything doesnt crystalize. Now I have a buddy who swears by this: aviation gas. I guess it makes sense to get your tank fairly empty dump a gal or two of av-gas in there and let it sit. I guess it makes sense because it has such a high octane rating and will not crystalize under anything but the worst of circumstances.

Any thoughts on this and other tips that anyone else has found helpful?

Old 10-12-2006, 10:52 PM

some online info i found that might help:

Winter motorcycle storage first requires winterizing the motorcycle
there are many opinions on what should be done to winterize your motorcycle and store it. Here is a basic set of steps to winterize a motorcycle and store it.

Check over the motorcycle for any mechanical problems.

Change the engine oil and oil filter.

Fill the gas tank, add stabilizer according to the instructions on the can, and run the motorcycle for a few minutes.

Check the battery, clean the battery terminals, and connect a Battery Tender or similar trickle-charger.

Clean and wax the motorcycle.

Cover the motorcycle. If possible, keep the motorcycle in a warm garage.

Make sure the motorcycle is locked up and the registration and other papers are removed in case the bike is stolen.
Winterizing is a personal choice for motorcyclists. Many approaches work. The tips provided here will get you back on the road next spring ready for new adventures in our mutual motorcycle obsession.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:24 AM

I agree with bindelsf2. One thing I will never do like I did years ago though, is start the bike.If I can't ride it for at least 10 miles. All that you are doing is creating condensation in the engine block and exhaust system. If you really feel the need to lubricate the motor, spin the motor over but do not allow it to start. My bikes are usually laid up from about now until the Winter salt is washed off of the road. I have not had any problems in 25+yrs. Oh, I have these bikes yet also and I ride them every year ('73 750 Honda and '81 'Wing). I have done as bindelsf2, said in his post. Before that I used to start them, every few weeks and ended up buying new exhaust systems every other year for it. I do though use the Winter to do the routine stuff like change brake fluid, anti-freeze, complete wax and polish, etc. Just a darn good going over.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 AM

this is not rocket science people.

fill the tank with fresh gasoline, right to the top.
change the oil and filter
take out the battery
Cap the intake and exhaust
cover it
walk away
put it on stands if you must, it wont effect the tires if you don't.

Don't start it if you don't plan on riding it. it just causes more problems. DO NOT USE RACE FUEL AS THE STORAGE GASOLINE!!! that fuel is leaded and is pretty much worthless after a month after it's opened! use regular pump gasoline. Staybil not required, but use it if you want. I never have and all my engines come back to life in the spring after a 6 month winter!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:21 AM

its crotch rocket science..j/k
this is not to contradict anyone:
believe it or not i found alot of articles online that said to use race fuel... i will stop posting because i think you have more than enough info but now i am just looking because of self interest.. but this is another write up that i found too.

Fuel System winterizing

There are different methods of winterizing fuel systems, but these are the methods I prefer, having had good luck with them throughout my lifetime. If your bike has a steel fuel tank, it’s very important to fill it to the brim with fuel. Filling the tank completely will stop it from rusting, which is a major issue in some areas. Plastic fuel tanks are more forgiving, but keeping it full will minimize the formation of condensation. Fuel stability is another concern, as most fuels begin to breakdown after about 60 days. I prefer to fill the tank with race fuel. In contrast to pump fuels, race fuels can be left for longer periods of time and will not turn to varnish. The alternative is a product called Sta-Bil. Many people use this product with good results and it is a safe bet when race fuel isn’t available. Once the fuel has been stabilized, start the motorcycle and let the fuel circulate throughout the entire system.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 AM

I know that race fuel contains lead, and is a very bad thing to leave in a tank, especially one that already has rust in it like mine does (I plan to have it coated this spring). I have used Sta-bil before at work and everything seems to work out fine with it, but what about some aviation fuel? It contains no lead, and will not break down under even pretty adverse conditions. At least this is what I have been told?!?

I guess the only thing good about winter is the fact that I plan to do some work on her. RR Tail swap, tank dip, repaint one fairing, etc...

Quick Reply: what to do for winter?????