General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did the shop do to my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did the shop do to my bike?

Since I don't have a garage anymore and my apt complex won't let me do work in the parking lot I had to bring my 929 to the shop for some general maintenance. Several hundred dollars later the bike shifts absolutely awesome! I bought my bike used and it's always been a bit clunky. What I want to know is: what did they do to tighten up the shifting? They did replace the fibers on the clutch, but this feels like they modified the synchros or something. What did the professionals do that I don't know about?

Ideas?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 PM

so all they did was general maintenance?

A few things can cause jerky shifts. A dirty chain is the most likely culprit. Or one that is way too loose. The loose the chain, the more freeplay there is to snap and jerk the bike around when shifting.

If its the physical shifting of the lever, they probably just changed the oil. Dirty oil can make shifting a bit of pain. If they put in some good synthetic, it can really help the shifts smooth out on certain bikes.

It could also be a well adjusted clutch cable. If its out of adjustment, it can allow the clutch to not release all the way which will make shifting a bit harder.

But if you really want to know. Look at the bill or ask them. There should be a detailed printout of what they did. They certainly aren't going to do something and not charge you for it. So the work they did is somewhere. I certainly don't pay for anything unless I know exactly what they did.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
They certainly aren't going to do something and not charge you for it. So the work they did is somewhere. I certainly don't pay for anything unless I know exactly what they did.
Ain't THAT the damn truth !! ... lol .... and +1 to the last sentence too ... but so far neither of my bikes have gone to the dealership for anything more than an inspection ... I just can't bring myself to trust somebody else to work on my stuff ... and i especially couldn't live with paying somebody to do work that I could do myself and KNOW it's right, or if it's not I wouldn't have anybody to blame but myself ... lol

Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Did they give you any sort of receipt?