General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes Backfire

I have a 1987 cbr 600f that i recently bought. I took it riding 4 times and it ran good. On the 5th time i was 45 minutes into my ride when i came to a stop and the bike started to die. I gave it full throttle and it would barely idle. I turned it off and when i tried to start it up again i had to give wide open throttle just to get it to idle. Now when i try to start it, the bike just backfires. I checked the fuel pump and lines, they are working. Could this be the timing chain? Stuck float? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Default RE: What causes Backfire

You might have rust or something in your tank. I would check there first, and possibly spark plugs..

Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: stealthcbr

...Now when i try to start it, the bike just backfires...
Backfires occur when a spark or ignition occurs at the wrong time, usually with a valve open. With the intake valve open, the backfire occurs out the carb. With the exhaust valve open, the backfire occurs out the exhaust. This usually occurs when the spark plug wires are on the wrong plugs. Check them first.

Except for spark plugs, I believe the pulse generator goes bad more often than any other ignition part. It controls the ignition timing. A simple timing light can check that the pulse generator is advancing correctly. Then I would change the spark plugs and see if they have a nice good spark. The coils can go bad, or the resistors in the plug wires can go bad. After you have a good spark occuring at the right time, move on to fuel. It has to get to the carb, and from the carbs it has to get to the cylinders. Sometimes, the pistons in the carbs stick open or closed. If you can pull back the airbox, you can stick your finger (engine off) in the carb opening and lift the piston. It should move freely, but with a little resistance like pushing air.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:55 AM

ORIGINAL: slowpoke

ORIGINAL: stealthcbr

...Now when i try to start it, the bike just backfires...
Backfires occur when a spark or ignition occurs at the wrong time, usually with a valve open. With the intake valve open, the backfire occurs out the carb. With the exhaust valve open, the backfire occurs out the exhaust. This usually occurs when the spark plug wires are on the wrong plugs. Check them first.

Except for spark plugs, I believe the pulse generator goes bad more often than any other ignition part. It controls the ignition timing. A simple timing light can check that the pulse generator is advancing correctly. Then I would change the spark plugs and see if they have a nice good spark. The coils can go bad, or the resistors in the plug wires can go bad. After you have a good spark occuring at the right time, move on to fuel. It has to get to the carb, and from the carbs it has to get to the cylinders. Sometimes, the pistons in the carbs stick open or closed. If you can pull back the airbox, you can stick your finger (engine off) in the carb opening and lift the piston. It should move freely, but with a little resistance like pushing air.
Excellent response Slowpoke. Just a few things I might add: since the bike is new to you, Stealthcbr, I'd pull the plugs out and at a minimum wire brush them - be prepared to replace them. Same goes for the wires.

Backfires are a flame/fuel/air imbalance situation, with the symptoms you describe it sounds like the fuel is squelching the flame, so I agree with checking the wires first (sometimes if you observe them in the dark you can detect the faulty wire by visibly seeing the arc). Follow through with tracing the rest of the electrical before moving on. Then check the air intakes/air filter, etc making sure there's no blockage. If no avail, proceed to the fuel filter; drain tank - inspect contents; try completely new gas if old is suspect.

Cheers

Old 08-27-2005, 01:15 PM

so is it bad if my bike backfires but runs fine?

like if I rev it up high at a light it will backfire on the way down and sometimes throw a flame, I think its pretty cool, but is it bad?

Old 08-27-2005, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Power2weight

so is it bad if my bike backfires but runs fine?

like if I rev it up high at a light it will backfire on the way down and sometimes throw a flame, I think its pretty cool, but is it bad?
It was cool in the 50's, but with gas approaching $3/gal it's dumb. I'm assuming the backfire is actually popping from excess gas burning in the exhaust. I would pull all four plugs. If they are black, it's running rich.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:08 PM

Yep there all black in there, so what do I do to fix it, honestly I'm a total carb newb.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stealth -- I'd check the timing chain also (this is a pain so make it the last thing you check). There are issues with cam chain tensioners on damn near every bike made. As old as your bike is that could be the problem.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:46 AM

thank god for fuel injection

Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: f4i_reborn

thank god for fuel injection
Yeah, fuel injection doesn't usually run badly. It either works right or it doesn't work.

Quick Reply: What causes Backfire