General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best oil for a cbr

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best oil for a cbr

i heave a 2002 honda cbr f41 and i was going to service it over winter i was wondering what the best oil to use is?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey 02f4i, the “which oil is best” debate is eternal and quite probably futile. Bike World probably said it best, “don't get obsessed with oil: the best advice you can find is in the owner's manual.” I can attest to this as I’ve spent countless hours researching this very topic. I’d say stay with 10W-40 (as per manual) and then just go with whichever brand you like and how much you’re willing to spend, whether it’s bike specific or not, synthetic or dino. One sound advice everyone can agree with is to stick to a regimented, regularly scheduled oil changes.

Mobil 1-4T ~ FTW

Old 01-29-2009, 04:26 PM

alrite thanks. what the deal is i bought it used in september, and i dont no when the last service or anything is on it and it had no manual. so i had her alot of things about rotella and was just wondering what everyone else thought.

once agin thanks everyone

Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Go to this Shell Rotella page http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageS...ert_topic.html. Type-in "motorcycle" and you'll get five (5) replies regarding Rotella use in motorcycles. Basically, they all end like this (which I don't particularly like):

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements. Part of the JASO requirement limits ash content to 1.2%. Ash content of ROTELLA T exceeds this limit. Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
Go to this Shell Rotella page http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageS...ert_topic.html. Type-in "motorcycle" and you'll get five (5) replies regarding Rotella use in motorcycles. Basically, they all end like this (which I don't particularly like):

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements. Part of the JASO requirement limits ash content to 1.2%. Ash content of ROTELLA T exceeds this limit. Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits.
That was true with some of the older Rotella T's, but the new stuff (labeled with "triple protection") is now at 1% (meets JASO MA). The CJ-4 rated Rotella T (bottle shows the triple protection label thing) is the new Rotella T and has been out for over a year now.

From Shell's website:

Do you recommend using ROTELLA in wet clutch applications?

ROTELLA T does not contain friction modifiers that are added to many passenger-car-only-oils, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3 and GF-4 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle/ATV use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content.

Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines) extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus.

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements. Part of the JASO requirement limits ash content to 1.2%.

Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits.

The ash content of CI-4 PLUS spec-ed ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is 1.47%. However, the CJ-4 spec-ed Shell ROTELLA T with Triple Protection is now at 1.0% ash.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM

AMSoil

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Hey MidnightG35X ~ how long you been running Rotella in your bike? Just curious

Old 01-30-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
That was true with some of the older Rotella T's, but the new stuff (labeled with "triple protection") is now at 1% (meets JASO MA). The CJ-4 rated Rotella T (bottle shows the triple protection label thing) is the new Rotella T and has been out for over a year now.

From Shell's website:

Do you recommend using ROTELLA in wet clutch applications?

ROTELLA T does not contain friction modifiers that are added to many passenger-car-only-oils, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3 and GF-4 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle/ATV use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content.

Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines) extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus.

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements. Part of the JASO requirement limits ash content to 1.2%.

Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits.

The ash content of CI-4 PLUS spec-ed ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is 1.47%. However, the CJ-4 spec-ed Shell ROTELLA T with Triple Protection is now at 1.0% ash.
The ash content is the last spec I'd ever worry about, especially in a 600cc gas burner. If any diesel speced oil can handle a diesel engine's tendency to create soot and particulate matter, I don't see any reason why Rotella or any other brand diesel oil wouldn't be able to handle motorcycle engines. My bike sees nothing but diesel oils. I've used Rotella dino and synthetic, Delo 400, and Castrol Tection. All are very shear resistant and usually have more ZDDP then regular passanger car motor oils.