General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WD-40 as chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WD-40 as chain lube

Now I know there are strong opinions sometimes violent opinions about using WD-40 as a chain lube. I myself feel its rather strange to use a penetrant, if thats a word, and water displacer as a lube and wont use something I use to clean my bike to lube it; but to each his own. I was puttsing around when i found this little little nugget of knowledge for my *** pack of facts. Just scroll down to the bottom half.

Motorcycle Chain Lube and the Grunge Brush - webBikeWorld

Sooo I guess we were right? No but really what does everyone think? Never could figure out why people talk about what kinda oil they put into their bike more than what they do to clean the chain every few 100 miles?

Edit: I do have to add that I have yet to find a better cleaner than WD-40 when it comes to in a spray can. Otherwise I head down to my local bicycle shop and pick up this degreaser thats amazing.

Last edited by CJardine; 09-07-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 AM

I use WD40 to clean my chain, grease spots, and various other parts of my bike. Never lube for the chain. Im using Dupont chain saver wax lube. Every other fill up i put a bit on. Chain and sprockets stay clean and hardly any mess splattered.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM

I clean my chain with kerosene and a tooth brush, then i go for a 10 min ride to warm up the chain, then i use Maxima Chain Wax and let it dry for abour 20 min.

Then youre good to go....

Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You asked about WD-40 as a chain lube so I'll address that. Don't EVEN get me started on using it to clean an O-ring chain.

WD-40 is too thin for a good chain lube. It is probably OK for use as a light lubricant for something like a squeaky door hinge but not for the harsh pounding a motorcycle chain goes through.

I've experimented with various lubes, including Bel-Ray, PJ-1 and DuPont. My personal favorite is DuPont's Teflon lube in an 11oz spray can. Lowe's sells it in their tooling section.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use wd-40 to clean my chain. I doesn't damage o-rings (proven) and gets the job done. Don't particularly care what lube I use so long as it's a wax.

Honestly, I've only had to replace a chain once, due to stretching. Chains are a wearable part,llIke brake pads and such. So until someone proves that a specific lube prevents chain stretching , whatever is on the shelf while at a bike shop works for me. I can already tell Yolie eats chains

Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 PM

I use the motul chain cleaner with a tooth brush and another larger brush. Then I use chain wax for lubrication. Forget the brand but its a black and tan can and says chain wax on it. Preety good stuff. Just did a cleaning on Thursday.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Ive heard to stay away from wd40 on the chain.... but theres always debates on it. I figure why risk it and I put Kerosene in a spray bottle to clean the chain. its cheaper than wd40. cleans great, and I dont have to worry about the debate over whether it is bad for an o-ring chain or not. but dont use just wd40 as a lubricant ever on your bike. like said above ^ its not for something moving this fast and going under extreme conditions. pick up a 12$ bottle of chain wax from the bike shop. it works great and wont fling as much. + the can will last for a long time

Old 09-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I use wd-40 to clean my chain. I doesn't damage o-rings (proven) and gets the job done. Don't particularly care what lube I use so long as it's a wax.
I think you are right, wd-40 doesn't damage o-rings, but the issue seems to be that it penetrates past the o-ring and dries out the grease that is sealed behind it.

I use kerosene to clean the chain. It's cheap and it does a great job.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnychimpo26
I use WD40 to clean my chain, grease spots, and various other parts of my bike. Never lube for the chain. Im using Dupont chain saver wax lube. Every other fill up i put a bit on. Chain and sprockets stay clean and hardly any mess splattered.
Ditto, exactly.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
I think you are right, wd-40 doesn't damage o-rings, but the issue seems to be that it penetrates past the o-ring and dries out the grease that is sealed behind it.

I use kerosene to clean the chain. It's cheap and it does a great job.
Exactly.
Wd40 cleans grease off too well.Being fully aware of this I sprayed some on a rag to clean the chain,first time I ever thought it really needed it,used a brush,dried it off with a rag,lubed it with Motul chain lube.Next day my chain is dragging and stiff for lack of a better description. You can't get the WD40 off the o-rings,chain lube won't stick to WD40.
This is on my CBR1100 drag bike,not good.

Quick Reply: WD-40 as chain lube