General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walkie Talkies for Communication?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkie Talkies for Communication?

Ok, so I'm going to revive this topic. Found 2 threads already for this, but I'd like to come back to it...simply because it's a much cheaper alternative to a chatterbox.

So, 2 standard walkie talkies, and a headset with either push to talk or voice activation would work, right?

I think wind noise is the issue, but is it an issue when canyon riding? I figure the distance rating shouldn't be much of an issue if another ride is just a few curves ahead of the other.

a pair of walkie talkies and a 2 headsets can run a total of $50 + tax. I think that's hella cheap compared to the pricey chatterbox.

What do ya'll think? Good no good.

My justification for communication (because I know some are against it) is simple, just to warn others of debris on the road, or if someone falls real far behind and one wants to check on them, or just to decide what to eat after a ride..hehe

Old 05-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Default RE: Walkie Talkies for Communication?

I was looking into the same thing, I found a set of Midlands that have headsets you can order for closed face helmets with a push to talk on the bars... but they are a lil more than 50.00

Old 05-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Walkie Talkies for Communication?

I just saw some throat mics with the option to push to talk or voice activation for $20 each.

http://www.helmetaudio.com/item--Thr...--AHA1115.html

I'm sure the sound quality isn't the greatest, but so long as it's enough to communicate I figure it's cool...anyone?

I just think it would be cool to warn a friend if you or he is a head on a new road as to a crazy turn, or rock/sand/etc...hot chicks...