General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration when using front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration when using front brakes

Hello, im kind of new here ive been on the site for about a year looking around, but never posted anything. The site is great lots of good info. after storing by bike for the winter, 03 cbr 954rr, i noticed it had a vibration at higher than 30mph when i would use the fron brakes. It also sometimes feels like the front end will "klunk" or move slightly when im pulling into a parking lot that has a slight incline or small curb. Ive searched around for similar situations people had but havent had much luck. Any help would be great.

some things i checked:
triple tree movement, there doenst seem to be any
the handlebars move freely from left to right no hangups
front brakes seem ok
front tire needs replaced

Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 PM

If your front tire is bad, it could be cupped or uneven wear. When you apply the brakes, its transfers more weight to the front of the bike and it could cause the bike to get vibration from the tire only during braking. However, the clunk sounds very much like the head bearing at the triple tree, which could compound the vibration during braking.

How did you check the headbearing?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 PM

haha it was kind of crude, just a friend of mine pushing and pulling on it while i watched the triple tree around the bearing area. Is there a correct way of checking the bearing? i was thinking about trying to suspend the front end so there wasnt a load on it. right now i dont have the facility since im at school but i will be able to at home. that would be nice if it is the front tire, even though i need both tires and its just under 300 for them shipped, not really looking forward to that.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clunk is head bearings - need to replace upper and lower. Fit tapered ones if you can.
The vibration could be brake pads - look into your brake reservoir and see if the fluid level looks to be low - sure sign you need new pads. (I just had exactly this problem)
Replace the pads check the front wheel bearings, ensure tyre pressure is correct, check disc mounting bolts to ensure all are tight.
If problem persists, remove brake rotors and have them checked - may be warped
Good luck !

Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 AM

As shadow said, the clunk is more than likely the head bearing. Having said that, it doesn't always mean a replacement. Sometimes, they loosen up, especially if the previous owner like to do wheelies. You may be able to simply tighten the bearing up. Your best bet is to get a service manual as all bikes have different specifications for their bearings. You may be able to find one online and download it, or check ebay. It sounds like you are going to be wrenching on the bike yourself, so a service manual will more than pay for itself.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Or instead of looking into the resevior you can look into the back of each caliper and see the thickness of each pad. There is a groove in the middle...if this is gone then it is time for new pads.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM

ok thanks guys i really appreciate it, a service manual is definitely a help a actually got mine from here there is one posted up somewhere ive used it a few times.