General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve clearances - to check or not to check.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve clearances - to check or not to check.

Hi there - this is my first post so apologies if it's a daft one.
I'm not confident enough to check the valves on my 02 CBR600F so checking involves paying.
Although I don't mind paying when I get value for money, I'd rather not pay for something that isn't needed - even worse, something that isn't done at all. (I know - I'm a synic)
I've heard that there are tell tale signs of this needing doing. The bike goes well, starts well from cold or hot and sounds ok to my untrained ear.
Milage wise, the interval is probably up. I fancy my chances of checking it next winter when it's off the road for a few months.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:14 PM

The valve check is supposed to take place every 16000 miles - personally speaking I'm ok with going a couple of thousand miles over schedule if the bike is sounding and performing ok - but the valve clearances should be checked - as much for your piece of mind as confirming that your clearances are within spec.

It's definitely worth having a go at checking them yourself - just make sure that you prepare yourself properly - get a Haynes/shop manual, read the relevant chapters so that you know exactly what you will have to do, make a list of all the tools etc that you will need to complete the job and have them ready beforehand - and most importantly as this is your first time checking clearances don't rush the job - take pictures of components before you dismantle them for reference and allow yourself as much time as you need to do the job - so scheduling the job at a time when you won't mind having the bike out of action for a few days is ideal - that way you won't feel under pressure to get the job finished and can take your time making sure everything is done exactly as it should be.

Hopefully your valves will be in spec - but if they are out of spec you should get a pro-mechanic to re-shim them until you get more experience and confidence working on your bike - but at least you will know that they are out of spec - then find a local bike shop with a decent rep - either via personal recommendation or good reviews on forums/internet etc.

Do a search on the forum for a how to thread on checking valve clearances
- funnily enough I'm going to be checking the clearances on my 01 F4i soon (the first time I will have checked clearances on this particular bike).

Old 04-17-2017, 04:16 PM

That sounds like really sound advice. Thanks. On that advice, as it seems ok, I might have a go next winter. Cheers

Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Checking the clearance is not hard. It's fixing the clearance that is a PITA

Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM

No problem - I'm sure you will be fine - as Conrice says checking the clearances is not that hard.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Thanks for all of the above. That sounds good advice - start by doing the check - if it's out, get a pro to finish the job. One step at a time sounds good.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 AM

If the bike does need a re-shim there are some good mobile motorcycle mechanics out there that you could contact to come round and reshim the bike while you still have the fairings, airbox, throttle bodies and valve cover off - that should make the job cheaper as you will have already dismantled the bike so he doesn't have to - again do some research and find someone with a decent reputation and feedback.

Last edited by bap de la bap; 04-19-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:36 AM

Again - very good advice. Thanks a lot