General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unstable warming ups????? help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unstable warming ups????? help

Hey guys... I got a small problem. Whenever I warmup my bike from a cold start, after a few seconds the engine runs and then suddenly boggs down to the point where it sounds like its almost about to just die on me. After about five secondsfollowing the bogging down part, I guess the ecu kicks in finally to get the engine to a higher rpm. After that, then the bike runs fine. I guess its not a real major problem since the bike does run fine after another couple minutes. But its just that it had never done that before. I was thinking maybe it could be a problem with some sensor that checks the engines temp or air temp. Or possible maybe even the spark plugs..... im not sure. anybody else going through this? well any feedback on how to help me get a smoother cold start would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Default RE: Unstable warming ups????? help

What kind of bike are we talking about here?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:17 PM

i have a cbr 600f4 2000 i go thru this every spring and in the fall i ride until it gets to cold that it floods and dies like you said
and in the spring i change the plugs its always done this ! anything we can do to fix this?????

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM

Oh yeah ... I forgot. I have an 07 CBR 600rr. Hopefully that can help narrow things down. Thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 PM

turn up the idle see if that helps. what is your idle when warm?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Yeah I was thinking about that but when the engine has warmed up, the idle would be to high. It just chokes in the beginning, to the point of shutting off. After its warmed up, then it runs fine.thanks for your help.....

Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM

Hi guys, i have the exact same problem with my cbr, i have the 1999 600 and it does the same thing from a cold start. i start the bike n half choke and then when i rev it a little to get the warmed up it sounds heavy to the point of dying, if i continued to rev it would die out, i also somtimes find it does this when riding also the revs die nd the power just peaters away. any suggestions as to the problem, or is this a common thing when the cold weathers about. Also to note the bike will eventually power through the sluggish phase and when warm it is fine.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM

robbo the bike is carbed right? thats your problem carbs should be tuned twice a year, once for warm once for cold.

to adjust idle back down just turn the ****.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 AM

Thanks hatebreed, the guys at the garage i was at said this is somthing that may fix it. I'll get that done asap. out of interest also do you get the carbs re-tuned when the warmer weather comes round? what would happen if you did'nt? and also what exactly is it that the carbs do? cheers for the tips.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: robbo997

and also what exactly is it that the carbs do?
Uhh...

The short version is that your carbs are the part of the bike that sprays a mist of fuel into your cylinders. Although it is nowhere close to just that simple, thats the very short, very abridged version.

Quick Reply: Unstable warming ups????? help