General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal problems not from LED

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal problems not from LED

Hello I have found alot of great stuff on this site but am having an issue with my signals- I have a '02 f41 that had the factory front turn sigs on it and I added some aftermarkets for the rear because the exhaust didnt leave clearance for the factory rears-The problem is when activated the fronts turn off and the rear blink fast-when returned to running lights they all stay on-I have replaced bulbs put the same brand on the fronts and replaced the turn signal relay-I even opened up the switch on the grips but cant find a fix! I am about to try a load resistor but have heard it wont work unless you have LED style-Any advice??? Thanks!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said that the rears are not LED but they blink fast when activated. The reason they are doing that is the system is designed to warn you when there is a bulb out. It "thinks" the front bulbs are bad. Somewhere in the circuit the +12V is not getting to the front signals.

My only suggestion would be to use a multimeter and check at each connection along the circuit for voltage to the front signals. A wiring diagram will help. If you find that there is +12V all the way to the front signals then check for a loose ground wire to them.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks Jeff-I will buy a multimeter and check it out-I have used a test light and the fronts are receiving the signal and it is pulsing fast there as well-just doesnt make the lights work

Old 12-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rear signal lights should not be staying on as "parking lights" - not with stock wiring. they're blinkers only.

sounds like something has been worked on in the signal wiring somewhere - I'd look for that first.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 PM

A real quick way to test if its a load issue is to take a regular bulb and run it inline with your new rears. Your new rear lights may be too little draw on the system so it thinks you have a light out. Common with leds, but not as common with the type of lights you have, but still worth checking and very easy.

Going along with what Adrenalnjunky said, you may just have something wired wrong. It sounds like you may not have the lights properly grounded. Some systems you can run the ground or positive to either side of the bulb and it will work fine, other systems require each bulb have the designated ground to the ground side of the bulb to work properly. Also as he stated, if your rear lights are staying lit, you definately have something wired incorrectly. they are only blinkers and not running lights in the rear. Make sure you did not accidentally use the license plate wires.

Since you have a test light. Unhook all of your rear wires. Ground the test light to the frame or battery ground, then probe each wire while having the turn signals activated. Once you find each turn signal positive wire, hook them up to the positive side of the signals. Then, find a common ground and hook the ground side of the signal up. You can use the same ground for both signals if you want as only one is in use at a time. There won't be any overload. You should only have two wires coming from the signals. If you have more, find out which wires are the signal and ground and only hook up those wires. As stated by AJ, your rear lights are signals only, not running lights.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas.ladnier
I have a 99 cbr 600 f4 and one of my exhaust cam buckets is stuck and cant get it out, please shoot me some pointers thanks
Not sure how this endedup on a turn signal thread, but:

a) Welcome to the site!

b) Try posting this as its own thread (make a new thread) - you'll see a lot more views and get a lot more help.

Mod - if you see this, can you help Thomas out?