General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal flasher relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal flasher relay

I've done a couple searches but can't find what I'm looking for...
I have flushmounts and a clear tail all with LEDs. Is there a flasher relay that can replace the stocker to slow them down? or is a resistor the only way?
My clear tail light has spots for more lights on the outside of it, I was considering putting some regular bulbs in these holes to help slow them down but then they'll flash out of time with the LED lights...

Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 PM

I've bought new flasher relays for all my bikes (even the Hyosung), it's by far the best and easiest route. Then again, the relay for my '05 1000RR is positioned in-between the two headlights. I had to take the entire bucket off and remove the headlights to get to it.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 AM

Oh, and regular bulbs won't do a thing. Once you introduce a lower load anywhere in the system, you'll need to use the resistors or new relay to get the stock blink rate back.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of bike do you have?Some bikes have the relay integrated and will need resistors.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by letsride
What kind of bike do you have?Some bikes have the relay integrated and will need resistors.
I guess that would have been some good info to give...

it's a 99 900 RRX, I haven't done ant exploring to see about that. I will pull the the fuse cover panel today to see.

thanks for the replies

Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 AM

I found the relay, it's not in a very difficult spot. It's located just behind the instrument cluster.
I guessthe next step will be to get another flasher. Any idea what model/part number I'm looking for? or would it be as simple as getting a flasher from a newer bike...

Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 PM

sounds good, thanks
changing the relay is all I really want to do.
there was a time when I'd be tearing it down to the frame just to add some bulbs or add a resistor but I'm getting lazy in my old age and I now prefer the path of least resistance, lol
thanks for the replies guys, I'll let you know by the weekend how it works out :thumbsup:

Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Actually, running regular bulbs in parralel with the led's would not only slow the flash rate due to the increased current draw, but the led's would also slow to match them. Not saying that's what I' do though, just clearing up misinformation.
Sure, but we are not talking about running both led and bulbs, what he really wants is to replace the bulbs with led so he will have to use one of three things, resistors, loud bearing circuit or new relay. I didn't like how hot the resistors got, and I didn't like the thought of adding a load bearing circuit to the system, so I opted for replacing the relay. Now the flash rate is the same no matter what I run.

Quick Reply: turn signal flasher relay