General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to replace broken bearing. Need help :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to replace broken bearing. Need help :(

So I recently ran into a problem with my bearing in the rear wheel and I am in the process of replacing them. I ran into problem with the rotor side bearing, the initially problemed bearing. The inside of the bearing completely separated, while the outside collar is stuck in the wheel. No matter what I have tried, it WON'T come out! I'm panicking Any ideas? A friend of mine suggested heating the collar up with a torch, then prying it out?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM

I think those need a press? I'm not sure because I've never done wheel bearings but just a shot on my part to try to get you on the right track

Old 07-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a puller, they're cheap. If not, you can try tapping them out with a soft aluminum/brass rod. Chase around the race, tap, tap, tap.

DON'T pry them out, you will damage the wheel's bearing seat.

Be very careful seating the new bearings, they have to go squarely in or you'll bind and damage the seat. The cheap way is a piece of 3/8-1/2 all-thread, 2 big washers and nuts. Grease the outside races, gently start both of them and then poke the all-thread through. Put the washers/nuts on both ends and tighten them together till you seat the bearings.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennysballs
The inside of the bearing completely separated, while the outside collar is stuck in the wheel. No matter what I have tried, it WON'T come out! I'm panicking Any ideas? A friend of mine suggested heating the collar up with a torch, then prying it out?
I think I'd stay away from the flame. The wheel is aluminum and you don't want to damage the wheel. So if I'm understanding it right, only the outer race of the bearing is still in place, the inner race and ***** have come out right ? Does the outer race have a lip on it's inside edge ? If so, you might be able to get a bearing or gear puller to remove it depending on it's configuration. I also know of people using a dremmel with a grinding wheel to ever so delecately cut a groove in the outer race to remove it. You have to use caution here as you don't want to damage the inner edge of the wheel where the bearing seats.

A tool similar to this.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I uploaded a picture to help you guys understand what I mean. The outer race, what I referred to as the collar, is the only thing left in the wheel.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Personally, I would replace the rim. Too may negatives, the chunk makes me wonder about stress-fracturing I can't see. As toasted as that bearing looks, I wouldn't trust
the seats anymore. I depise saying it, but that's my call on what I'm seeing.

Ern

Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Just take it to a machine shop. They'd probably take the bearing out for $20. The broken part of the wheel is only where the outer rubber seal sits. It would probably go back in just fine. I'd put a new bearing and dust seal back in and try it before I'd replace the rim. That's my opinion, but your call.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 AM

I totally get where you're coming from, but i'm just too broke to replace it

I ordered bearings off the internet from the link below. It doesn't specify in the add, but do these packages usually come with dust seals and all that?

Amazon.com: All ***** Street Wheel Bearing Kit - Rear 25-1257: Automotive

Old 07-21-2011, 04:03 PM

The ad does mention down at the bottom, bearings and seals.
All ***** does good stuff, from my experience.

I understand budgets, we all have them. I Do Dirt gives good sound advice.
I've been following his posts since he joined. I don't disagree with his
current advice, I'm just a bit **** where my machinery is involved. I
tend to go for flawless-perfection, where good-enough/safe is perfectly acceptable.
My advice tends towards NASA-type safety standards as a reflection of that.

I'll often try to compensate by offering tiered advice alternatives, I just didn't
in this thread. Bottom line, if you can make the rim work, you should be fine.

Ern