General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it true?

so ive noticed my bike drips oil when it sits! just a little but it doesnt seem to do it when runing ( im talking only one drop a day or something like that) im taking it to a dealership to have them go over it and get an oil change and tune up i was told that if hondas are dropped sometimes the oil pan is vulnerable to damage. just wondering what to expect them to find. and how much would it cost me?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bike can drip oil for a bunch of reasons. Mine was a gasket at the water pump to give you a clue. Dropping it damaging the oil pan, doubt it.

Clean off the bike as much as possible with a degreaser and wait for it to drip some more. That'll give you the location of the leak. And then you can figure out what's wrong.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 AM

just like a car, ha ha i just hope its not from the shifter lever happened on my buddies bike and it was the side case.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes running a synthetic oil in an older bike, it will leak.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Sometimes running a synthetic oil in an older bike, it will leak.
ive also heard that it may make your clutch slip. thats why im going to the dealer and getting them to use the "honda oil" ha ha.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes the clutch slip is oil with "performance enhancing" additives. Use Shell Rotella T in the BLUE jug (not the white one) you will not have any issues. Along with the wal-mart brand oil filter for a Honda Civic (dont remember # off the top of my head) but it adds up to 22 bucks, a quarter of what the stealership will charge. Save yourself some money, and DIY.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
What makes the clutch slip is oil with "performance enhancing" additives. Use Shell Rotella T in the BLUE jug (not the white one) you will not have any issues. Along with the wal-mart brand oil filter for a Honda Civic (dont remember # off the top of my head) but it adds up to 22 bucks, a quarter of what the stealership will charge. Save yourself some money, and DIY.
thanx for the advice think i will go that route money is deffinatly tight.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Are you sure your drip is not from the drain hoses on the left side? There are 3 hoses routed just in front of the sprocket cover extending down to exit at the bottom of the fairing. Occasionally stale fuel will drip from one of them when the bike isn't running, which is normal. It may look like oil on the driveway and only be a slight drop.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maineiack...

Kuro is right on. All you can do is clean her up and look for the leak. It may very well be from the seal behind your water pump like he said, too. Could be from a few things.

On the oil deal... the Rotella T in the blue bottle is the synthetic. Great bike oil like skoobydoob said. However, you can run the regular white bottle Rotella T also. It's just the dino equivalent. I run it in everything and buy it by the case (3gals for $31 at wally world).
For filters, I run the Purolators from Advance Auto. They are like $4. If you change your oil at regular intervals, you'll be fine.
Clutch slipping is caused by modifying agents like he said, too. You don't want to run anything with the "energy conserving" seal on it.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM

okay cool good tip, ill get some engine degrease this week. thank you guys.

Quick Reply: is it true?