General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble With Charging Sys. 98F3

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble With Charging Sys. 98F3

So ive got a 98 CBR600F3 and im having a charging system problem of some sort. i put a brand new battery in the bike and the day after, it started up fine, after about 20 minz of riding the bike just died, didnt seem fuel related at all. i cleaned the carbs and changed the plugs and problem still present. im thinkink (and hoping) its just my stator thats needing to be replaced. but my biggest issue is that it seems like its not holding a charge.
the bike will ride fine as long as i dont slam on the throttle. if i ease on it as easy as possible i can cruize no problem, but theres really no power. if anyone has had this oproblem or may have any advice, please let me kno. thanx
Jamez

Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Ty
Default RE: Trouble With Charging Sys. 98F3

Why did you replace the battery, was there another problem before this one?
Does it crank and run then die again, or is it completely dead after 20 minutes?
Are you charging the battery somehow or jump starting the bike and if so how long does it run for?
Have you taken any voltage readings, and what were they?
Is this bike a rebuild, or have 200 miles, or somewhere in between?
How long was it sitting before you bought it?
Is the gas fresh?
Is the air filter new?
When you slam on the throttle does it bog down, lean out, die, sputter, pop, or something else?
If you stay easy on the throttle does it run as long as you want or does it still die?

It helps to give as much info as possible so that anyone familiar with your situation can recognize the symptoms and help you out.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 PM

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

Old 08-14-2007, 12:56 PM

it was old and i fugured it was a good start. not that i kno of, i baught it off a friend who had it sitting all winter. its got 46k miles. no rebuild. stock engine, full exhaust. it cranks for like 4 seconds and then the battery loses all juice. i can start it first thing but after that its gotta be jumped/push started. no, battery checks out at 11.55 volts. and when its running its reading 13.5v. but somehow/somwehere, its draining while im ridding. when i jump it, it runs as long as it can as long as i dont mash on the throttle. its probably been sitting for about 4/5 months at least. ive had it for like a week now.new gas, new k&n filter. ya when i slam it it kinda boggs and just dies. but i put it in neutral and it still dies.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:57 PM

so i just went and took it for a ride on my lunch, and it seems like i cant really give it any throttle. its got to be eased on as slow as possible. even in neutral i cant give it a quick rev, it sputters and wants to die. it doesnt really want to go above 35/40 without sputtering and wanting to die.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Ty

abadfish posted a very awesome link for you with excellent pictures and how-to. See what you can get from that. Good Luck.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:16 PM

11.5 volts is way to low for a battery when the bike is not running. When running at close to 5k rpm, the voltage should be something like 14.x

I thought my R/R was going and that the battery was also dead because it would crank slow and not hold a charge. I just tested with my voltmeter at the terminals and at idle I got 12.8 and as I headed toward 5k prm I got 13.8 and as I let of the gas coming down from 5k I got about 14.1. I think that's on the low end of what it should be.

Anyway, you need to check for a lot of different stuff since once running it still bogs and dies.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 PM

alrite well im gonna go home and try that diag. ill let u kno as soon as i get a conclusion. i appreciate all the help from u guyz. i dont kno sheet about bikes and im slowly learning. ill repost l8er tonite.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the regulator, common problem, same symptoms. their crap. They get hot, start to break down & eventually fail.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:22 PM

I know this may seem funny, but i had a similar problem with my 900RR i replaced everything with the charging system cause the rectifier went out and took the battery with it. also the stator was weak.
So after replaceing everything including wires i still had the problem with it dieing out at lights after it got hott, i asked around and could not figure it out.
Well After looking over the wiring Diagram i found that the DAM after market Rear Turn Signals/Runing lights were draining my battery a bit to much so i removed the Running light Feature and stuck with the stock tail light/running light it worked fine ever since
Thier is a Dam Green wire that runs Everything on the bike, its a main Ground that comes off the Rectifer and goes to the lights i hooked up.
Anyone else run into this Electrical Mayhem??

Quick Reply: Trouble With Charging Sys. 98F3