General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track racing costs

Old 11-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track racing costs

Weighing some options and trying to get an idea of what it really costs to race. Assuming the rider already has a bike, what's a good budget for someone who's just starting? Factoring in a race suit, track day costs, membership dues, race entry fees, etc. How often do you go through tires and brakes? Do you recommend going to a racing school? I know there's a lot of "it depends" scenarios here, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much you guys spent to get going and/or how much you spend at the track per year / per visit, etc.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:05 AM

it sounds like youve never been to a track and i would suggest track days before you start racing, on that note i did my first track day for 190 which included the school, rental, and track fees. but most track days are anywhere from 125-250 per day plus membership.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That’s a very broad & subjective question. Like any hobby or interest, the more you get into it, the more money you’ll spend. Its going to depend on your involvement & commitment level. To that…

Its not as difficult to start racing as you think…but then again, its not as easy either. Its not just a matter of having the bike, the gear, & the budget. You have to have the ability, determination, & dedication as well. You need to be sure you want to pursue it. I try to be a “glass half full – guy” instead of a “glass half empty” type. So I want to encourage you to do it *if* you have a sincere interest & desire in pursuing it.

You need to get your feet wet. If you haven’t done a track day, then I suggest you start there. A track day w/a good track organization will introduce you to track riding, techniques, rules, etc. If you like riding on the track & want to continue it further, then by all means – do. This is really a good first step.

Once you’ve taken that first step & its really what you want to do, then dive in. After doing some track days & learning from the instruction they offer, perhaps go to California Superbike School or the like. Build on your experience & decide on the route you want to take to race. Go to a new racer’s school, like the WSMC New Racer’s School… https://my.wsmcracing.com/ti/wsmc/content/nzpmwUy3.html .

So, don’t look at all the costs up front…or you will not want to continue. ;-) Instead, take it a step at a time w/ costs required as you go. Sure, there’s an initial outlay of funds for that first track day. You’ll need to have a suit, back protector, boots, gloves, & helmet. Your bike will need to be in good working order w/ no leaks, have good brakes, & have good tires (no safety-wiring required for track days). Consider what you’ll need for travel, lodging, meals, gas, & your pit area. I’d recommend having your own trailer. It sure makes life easier not having to rent one, scheduling pick up & drop off, etc. Later, as you progress & actually start racing, you’ll need a dedicated race-bike & all that goes along w/ supplying & upkeep of it, like; regular maintenance supplies, multiple sets of tires (gets very expensive – very fast), tire-warmers, etc. When you consider all of that, track fees seem to be the least of worries. ;-) Take it step by step & tackle expenses as they come. Spread out over time, it won’t seem as daunting as it would all up front.

Would like to hear how you pursue your decision. Good luck.

***CLIFF NOTES:
Don’t look at all costs up front.
Take it a step at a time.
Get experience w/ track days.
Be sure you want to do it.
Superbike School (or equiv).
New Racer School.
Actual racing.
You’re on your way. :-)

Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
BDT

You'd probably be better off asking this in the WERA forums.

http://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

I agree with gotcbr. You should definitely do a few trackdays first. It'll give you a good idea of what you can expect.

To start you could spend anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 for gear. After that it'll be entry fees, travel expenses, tires, crash gear (frame sliders, case protectors, race fairings, safety wiring etc), fuel, brakes, extra parts, etc. I have no idea how much all of that would cost.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And if you don't have it already: Health Insurance

Old 11-16-2010, 07:15 AM

My first track day cost me about $350...

I bought a full leather suit off ebay for $100. Bought alpinestars boots for $200. Gauntlet gloves for $50.

All i did to the bike was tape over the headlights. The track day itself was around $125 i think. That was four years ago. I still have the leathers and boots. Best money i ever spent.

I've been hooked since.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 PM

SportBikeTrackTime does track days ranging from $125 - about $205. They offer 3 classes, Novice (4 levels from Novice 1 - experienced with multiple track days under their belt, to Novice 4 - New to track days), Intermediate, and Advance. Aside from proper gear, bike prep is simple - tape headlights and tail lights, disconnect the lights or remove the fuses, remove the mirrors, and have about 75% trad on your tires. SportbikeTracktime will have a more complete list. Membership is about $35 a year, could be less depending on how late in the year you become a member.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 AM

thanks for all the responses. here's a bike question, looking at getting an SV650 or ninja 650r. Some of the ones I'm interested in have aftermarket exhaust, power commander, intake installed. Is that going to be a problem w/ competing in the lightweight (I believe that's right) class?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM
BDT

No idea. You'd be better off asking the racing organization what the exact class specifications are. Some are based off HP, some let anything go.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Racing questions belong on WERA, bike and track day questions are more our cup of tea

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track racing costs