General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires tires and more tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires tires and more tires

Need a new tire. It has a battleaxe on it now and i guess i like it. it was needing replacing when i got the bike but i was wondering if there were any other good choices to look at or better buys. And Whats the largest size tire i can put back there its a 02 600f4i
thanks

Old 01-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Tires tires and more tires

There alot of different tires out there...what type of riding are you going to do?? The Dunlop D208ZR, Michelin Pilot /Pilot Power,Metzler Sportec M1 are some of the more popular models and some (like the Metzler) offer great grip but not so great mileage..As far as size of tires...the F4i has a 5.5" rear rim designed for a 180/55-17, you can probally get a 190/50 to fit but it will more than likely slow the steering characteristics down and the only benefit of a wider tire is at the track where you have a little more rubber available at full lean angle. On the street ( in winter) most people cant even use all of the 180's available tire.
Another thing to consider is the tire operating tempature, a RACE spec tire is designed to handle the more abrasive, high temps at the track, and may never get to operating tempature on the street ( offer less grip than a street compound in these conditions) ...
So I say to stick with the recommended size and pick a street compound, or even a sport touring ( grips well, but offers longer wear) compund

Old 01-03-2005, 01:13 AM

as far as my riding style im not gonna even try to drag the pegs but i like to take a curve,know what im saying? so far the tire on there has kept me satisfied(battleaxe) and several of my buddies with gixxers have it as well and like it so i think ill just replace it with another one like it. just was wondering if there might be a simmler type tire that was same price range that might have better specs in something.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:27 AM

You would be suprised at the difference between a 190/50/17 and a 180/55/17. I had the 190 on my cbr900RR. I thought it was great. I replaced that with a 180 and wow. It just leans over so much better. It's an amazing difference. For a new rider such as yourself, i'd keep the tires at the stock reccomended size. Keep in mind that Honda designed the bikes with that specific size tire for a certain reason.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:25 PM

I was woundering if anyone has the Bridgestone Battlax tires? Are they any good as far as for street/highway? I was thinking about getting them but thought i would get a few opinions before i bought them.

-Tom-

Old 01-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bridgestone are the best bang for the buck tire made. Not just my opinion. Sportrider and Motorcyclist mags did a comparo back in '02 I think and came up with that conclusion. The BT012SS are really sticky and recommended for track days up to intermediate level racing. BT014 is excellent all around street tire. Not quite as sticky as the 12's but you should get an extra 1000 miles out of them. BT020 is a 'sport/touring' tire and I wouldn't put them on a light/powerful bike.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:41 AM

What about the BT56's, are they any good?

Old 05-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

The BT56's came stock on the Busa's -- the BT010 was the replacement for the BT56 about 3 years ago and just last year the BT014 replaced the BT010. Sooooo, my understanding was that the BT56 was gone. Having said that I see them popping up in various motorcycle mags. Could be leftover stuff I suppose. Anyway I had good results from the BT56 -- excellent grip and outstanding mileage. Only decent feel but that coulda been the result of less than adequate suspension mods.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:17 AM

hey just wondering what is a good race/track tire? i was looking at the Metzeler Rennsport Race Rear Tire - RS2 - Green - Soft or the Metzeler Rennsport Race Rear Tire - RS1 - Blue - Super Soft. looking to buy a good track tire here soon. just thought i would ask around before i put my money were my mouth is :$ how good are dunlop track tires?

-Tom-

Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Dunlop track tires are the best but they'll cost ya.

Quick Reply: Tires tires and more tires