General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires and Steering Stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and Steering Stabilizer?

Just picked up a CBR 954rr today and I'm wonder what everyone would recommend as far as tires? I used to have a 600f2 about 2 years ago and haven't had a bike since until now. I ride fairly aggressively and I've ridden about 4 miles on the 954 so far. Obviously the power difference is incredible. I expect to eat tires with this thing.. What are some good tires that will last longer than 1k miles? My 600f2 could burn a pair in about 1k, id like to get more than that out of them... especially since I plan on making the 954 my daily go-anywhere vehicle. I can get a set of Michelin Pilot Power 2s for roughly $280.. just want some opinions from guys who've been riding.

Also wondering about a steering stabilizer. Are they needed? I never had one on the 600 but the 4 miles I rode on the 954 had my arms straining. Although i assume that's just because I'm no longer used to it and I was running it pretty hard so I had a tight grip.. is it something that's super necessary?

just trying to get some intel before I actually start dailying this beast.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi , I never give advice on tyre's , to me it's a more personal taste thing , but as far as the steering stabiliser goes, I've never found the need for one on my 954 , and I think the arm strain is just a bit of apprehension as the bike is a lot lighter than your F2, so maybe just relax your arms and grip more

Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi , I never give advice on tyre's , to me it's a more personal taste thing , but as far as the steering stabiliser goes, I've never found the need for one on my 954 , and I think the arm strain is just a bit of apprehension as the bike is a lot lighter than your F2, so maybe just relax your arms and grip more
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't think I would need one but I wanted to get a second thought.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 PM

With tires, you just need to decide if you want grip or longevity. If a tire only lasted you 1k on the street... Chances are it's not the tires fault. Run an appropriate tire for what you're wanting to do, at the proper pressures for the street, and you'll get plenty of life out of it.
As for a stabilizer, I've heard too many horror stories, first hand, about 954's that I wouldn't think twice about running one.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Same as above.

Steering stabilizers are a must. The front ends on these get really light and will get a shake if you are throttle heavy.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:58 PM

I too am new to a 954. Research has me buying a new GPR steering damper.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Is the lightness of the front end more of an issue in earlier gears? I've been upwards of 100mph a few times and notice no play in the steering. If I get on it hard in first or the low end of second I can of course feel the front end lighten up, but if I get on it hard shifting into 3rd she seems to have no problem.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

It's more the torque you're applying at speed than being at speed until your speed gets to ridiculous levels.

Drive into a tight turn at 8000 rpms, full lean, and roll hard to open throttle on apex to exit. You will wish you had a dampener right then.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
It's more the torque you're applying at speed than being at speed until your speed gets to ridiculous levels.

Drive into a tight turn at 8000 rpms, full lean, and roll hard to open throttle on apex to exit. You will wish you had a dampener right then.
Not much for speeding in turns on public roads. Too many things could go wrong that I have no control over. Other drivers, gravel or unforeseen obstacles. I like the feeling of speeding in long straight runs. And there is plenty of wide open farmland with 10mi+ long completely straight roads near me. I understand people are trying to warn me of the potential issues with the steering, I just hate to spend $500 on something if I do not absolutely need it. But at the same time I don't want to not spend that money and end up needing it..

I've been riding different types of bikes for 19 years and I feel pretty confident in my ability to control anything.. and I think that big head of mine is the main thing getting in the way of a stabilizer.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:37 PM

I think the steering damper topic has been controversial in the past with no right answer. I have decided, based on design alone, confirmed by other pilots, that a steering damper is money well spent! One has to consider the fact that future designs that are apparently less aggressive now come stock with one!

Quick Reply: Tires and Steering Stabilizer?