General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires aren't gripping right.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires aren't gripping right.

When I bought my bike a few months ago, and since then it seems like my traction has gone down dramaticly. I can lock my back tire up with little brake pressure (brakes are fine according to mechanic) and it feels like the bike isn't gripping like it used to. Does road oil and gunk build up on the tires or is there something I should be doing to the tires? the tread is fine about 7/32 left, and pressure is at factory specs. They're the dunlops that came with the bike.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Default RE: tires aren't gripping right.

Factory spec air pressure is usually for two up riding , on my CBR1000RR I run 33f 33r solo.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:05 PM

hmm, so lower the pressure? It's on my 600f2.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Retired Mod

just an idea to throw out there, but maybe the problem is with the tires themselves. you state that you recently purchased the bike. maybe you didn't notice the sub-par tires because you were still getting used to the new bike and now that you are comfortable and pushing it, the problem shows up. could be WAY off base but it's a thought. another possible culprit is the colder weather. cold tires and cold roads suck. other than that, try lowering the pressure a few pounds and see what happens. good luck.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:30 AM

I agree cold weather could be the culprit, but I'm in Texas last week was in the 60-70's. It's not 95 out like when I bought the bike, so I guess that could make a difference. Are dunlop bad tires? Don't have the model infront of me.

Seems like everyone swears by diablo's pretty much. If I can get awsome grip wet and dry, I don't care how long they last it's 2 wheels, not 4 like in a car.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:00 AM

I am by far not an expert but NO dunlop's are not bad tires. Although the model could make a difference i don't believe it should be that much of one. In the lastest sport rider they did a tire shootout here are the three best rated. (in my opinion)

1.) Metzeler Sportec M-1 front 110
rear 136
2.)Michelin Pilot Powers front 152
rear 195
3.)Dunlop Qualifier front 172
rear 221

From what i know any tire from metzler make great tires and they are not the cheapest but the best priced for its quality and as u can see dunlop is way up there in $$$$$$$$.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:40 AM

I didn't think dunlops were bad, but I hope there is something better, or kneedraggers are holding onto the road by a wing and a prayer. The meltzers aren't that bad price wise, and again I don't mind paying for bike tires, they're alot cheaper than car tires. Anything else I might do/consider for better grip.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:48 AM

I realize cold weather could be a problem but i live in canada and when snow is not covering everything lol.....i take the bike out for a boot just to get everything moving and my tires feel ok....maybe it's what was suggetsed by nine2nine b4....that you are just beginning to push the bike and things that were previously unnoticed are now prevalent to you???????? If u don't mind spending the $$$$ on tires maybe your best bet is to make sure they are balanced properly and if they are maybe just invest in a new set if that doesn't solve the problem not much is lost because i am sure u will eventually use them.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:45 AM

wut kind of dunlop? I used to have the D208 GP and they were fine, warm up pretty fast. I now have the Michelin Pilot Powers and prefer them.

i suggest you put 34-36 psi

Old 01-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...qualifiers are damn bling bling! thought they were just supposed to replace the 208 GPs...for that price, might as go with track tires.

Quick Reply: tires aren't gripping right.