General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire shopping, place your vote.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire shopping, place your vote.

Here are a few of the tires I'm looking at. What are you guys running and how many miles do they last.

I'm happy with the stock Dunlop 208s and have about 6500 miles on them... no burn outs. I'm almost down to the tread wear indicator so I need to start shopping. I've found good prices on line, I think, so I thought I'd order it and take it to a shop to have it mounted. What's the going price for mounting/balancing a tire these days? It's been a while for me.

All of the prices I looked up are shipped to my house.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Default RE: Tire shopping, place your vote.

i like the pirelli supercorsca race compounds but they wear really fast you'll get about 4-5,000 miles out of them,but they stick so well you could probably ride up a wall (not really so don't try it and say i said you could j/k) if you take the wheel off most places will mount and balance it for between 15-30, if you take to bike they usually charge about double that.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:47 AM

I picked the qualifer just because Sport Rider had the highest score for that tire. The only thing is it is very soft and doesn't last very long. But a great high performance tire. I think I will try one this spring.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 AM

I bought a dunlop 208 like 2000 miles ago. It is almost to the wear bars. I guess I ride the crap out of it and did one little burn out for 3 seconds. But it was worth it.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:32 AM

Pilot Powers offer the best ratio of grip & life

they'll be my choice once I replace these Bridgestone BT-014s (almost 10k miles @ varying speeds on dry Cali canyons w/o a single complaint)

Old 01-09-2006, 07:55 AM

I agree with transam man. The dunlop 208s come on my gsxr 750 and didnt last no time at all. Curious as to how yours lasted so long? Anyway I have been running the pilot powers with no complaints what so ever. Did two track days on a new set and still managed about 4000 miles out of the rear(tracks put a wacking on tires). Ill be running pilot race medium/medium compound this year at the track but am very interested in the new Dunlop Qualifier for street riding. They are talking them up in the mags so ill have to try a set in comparison with the powers. Going to be tuff to beat the powers.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:11 PM

I'm on my second set of Dunlops. I was impressed with quality for dollar amount. I put about 6000 mi. on my 1st set with no burnouts, but a reasonable amount of wheelies. I've bought my last 2 sets of tires at http://www.mawonline.com/.
I think I paid around $92 front 120/70ZR17 and $106 rear 180/55ZR17 D208s, shipped to my door in Pennsylvania. This was the best price I could find and I mount my own tires. Keep in mind that these might be closeout prices and I don't think they can be returned. I have'nt had any problems from this company though and I know several other people that have bought tires from here. I don't ride track, only street or I would probably look into getting different tires. For street though I don't have any complaints about Dunlop.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Retired Administrator

I have no problems with my Dunlop 208... I just wanted to keep the performance and life. I can't believe some of you are only getting 2000 miles on them. I am pushing it now at 6500 miles, but damn... 2K and you need new ones? I do zero burnouts but I'm always launching and bringing the front up a few inches....

Old 01-09-2006, 08:07 PM

Diablo Corsa, does it otta that bunch for me. I run Metzeler Racetecs at the mo.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:45 PM

I am running Pilot Powers F/R and they are Godly.

Quick Reply: Tire shopping, place your vote.