General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire repair

Hi guys, I caught a nail on my rear tire just wondering if any of you guys attempt to plug your tire with success. I really dont want to replace a perfectly new tire because of an unfortunate puncture then I have too. But I dont want to sacrifice safety by not doing the right thing either. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Default RE: tire repair

I dunno about a bike, My truck I have pluged my tires numerous times, but plugs can come out or leak if they are not done right. I would think you could plug them....but I dont know, good question. Call a local shop and see what they say.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM

use a tire patch. you have to take the tire off, scruff the tire in the area all around where the patch will sit 1/2 inch bigger than the patch, put on some patch cement, wait a minute ill it gets tacky, place the patch on there and use something to make sure the patch sticks completly to the cement think they called it a stitcher like a mini pizza cutter but wider so it doesnt cut after that you should be good to go. pretty sure you can get all of the stuff you will need at any auto parts store. or you could just take it to someplace that does it. i used to work at a tire place ive patched some motorcycle tires, the patches are much better than the plugs.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:25 PM

I got to say this, dude it all depends on the way you ride you bike, if you fide like a little old lady and never really hit the twistys and you speed is never much over the speed limit then go get it pluged from the inside. but it you ride the hell out of you bike like it was ment to be riden then I must say that a new tire is much cheaper the a funeral. get a new one they aren't that much. its a lot cheaper in the long run.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:08 PM

I with Reckless..save the pennies...hell charge if ya have to...dont need to hear about u goin down because rear tire shredded at 40mph and all that jazz...do it right the first time...i mean after all cars have 4 tires and ya can lose one at 50...but a Honda without a rear.....WOOOOOOOOAH NELLIE....

Old 10-15-2006, 08:24 PM

http://www.slimesealant.com/

This is a product that I've heard about. Never used it but it is supposed to be good. Can't go wrong with a new tire though.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: c.love220

http://www.slimesealant.com/

This is a product that I've heard about. Never used it but it is supposed to be good. Can't go wrong with a new tire though.
I might try that on my truck tire if it has a slow leak, but not a bike tire.....

Old 10-17-2006, 02:33 PM

I've always had cars and bikes that use speed rated tires. When the tire has a breach the speed rating no longer applies. I've had a bike tire with a patch plug, but only until my new tire came in.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Definately get a new tire, the cost of a new tire isn't worth the risk of going down hard from a plug. You can plug it temporarily to ride it to the shop if you don't have a rear stand to get the wheel off. I had to replace a rear after it only had 500 miles on it. Just barely scrubbed in too.
Also, don't use the slime on a bike tire. I did to limp it to the shop before I had stands and it made a huge mess! A motorcycle tire flexes quite a bit during any cornering and what happens is the hole grows larger and larger. Even with the drywall screw in my tire + the slime air still came out and I had to stop at every gas station and air up. By the time I got to the dealer I could pull the screw out with my finger because it got progresively lose.