General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire question, can they go Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question, can they go Bad??

I bought my 900rr from a guy that only put 700 miles on it in 1 yr, and new tires were put on by the previous owner before him, when i first got the bike it felt fine in a corner, now about 800 mile later when go into a turn fast or slow and i dip lay the bike in i get a wiggle feeling, it feels similiar to riding a bike with a cupped front tire, you enter a turn start to lay over and get the wiggle from the cup but whn you past that spot it goes away, except mine doesnt go away when i lean further.Can tires go bad even if there is plenty of tread left on them from sitting??

Old 02-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Default RE: Tire question, can they go Bad??

check ur tire pressure

Old 02-16-2006, 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: shraz

check ur tire pressure
Yeah that`d be the first likely cause.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:09 AM

I did check my tire pressure, im not a novice, but I never heard of a tire going bad, the rubber doesnt look dried out but i was told from sitting that long they may appear to look good but in fact the rubber could be shot..

Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Where has anyone found to be the best place to get tires, and what tires do you like the best and why??? I always used dunlop 207's but they are getting harder to get.. My bike now has a 207 on the front and a 208 on the rear

Old 02-16-2006, 09:15 AM

Always Liked the Metzeler Racetecs, For there feedback and grip levels. But the important thing is to choose a tyre that suits your needs. No point getting sticky soft Race rubber if all you do is comute.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:45 AM

Yes tyres can go bad, I had a set of Knankangs on my MR2, damn things offered no grip and where made out of wood. Finally got round to removeing them when they actually started to warp and lose their shape!!! Tracking etc was fine, just heavy uneven tyre wear started to occur.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A possibility is that they were at one time over inflated and that caused them to get out of shape. Might wanna check the preload on the front also -- sometimes a wiggle in a turn is indicative of too soft on the front.

I've read articles about the actual compounds and they say that the rubber starts breaking down shortly after the tires are made. So if you're a factory racer you usually get to ride the tracks on tires that came out of the molds maybe a month or less. I don't remember seeing anything to indicate that an older tire would give you odd handling -- just less over all traction.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Retired Admin

How was the bike stored prior to you picking it up? Did it spend alot of time outdoors or stored inside, like a garage? I had problems years ago when I used to leave my bike in a dirt driveway and it would rain and the bike would sit. The ground compounds would effect the tires. The idea about the suspension is good as well...[8D]

Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also mang...207 front and a 208 rear is a problem...you may want to go stickier up front if you turn in hard...
as far as cupping...they give you that dip feeling, but if the tire isn't cupped, it shouldn't do that unless the air is off.

shouldn't ride too hard on 207s as they aren't for hard riding, delayed apex type riding...they're more for smooth riding...
check diablos stradas if you're more concerned about tire wear. they are along the same lines as 207s but better.

Quick Reply: Tire question, can they go Bad??