General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire break in

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tire break in

this is last turn of breaking in tire...during the first lap the camera mang was waiting for me to do something but right before i hit the turn i grabbed a handful of brakes and stood the bike up...the camera mang instantly stood up...stuck his hands out and was said "WTH is that?"

end of second lap (the pix) he got ready again...took the pix then stood up, shook his head and kicked the dirt and screamed something at me...hahahahahhahah...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2436/3A1592C7FCD34DFD9A8A1375FBF656C0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so now your a wimp and a poser huh? haha j/k

WERA doesn't give us a ton of time to scrub in tires, at the regionals we're lucky to get 4 laps at a time to practice so taking 2 of them to scrub in a tire isn't an opition lol

really a good set of DOT race tires, you can go straight to full lean, its only when you trail brake or try to get on the gas hard or do something else to reduce traction that you have problems
most of the fast guys seem to get a set scrubbed in in the first few corners

Old 05-23-2007, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

so now your a wimp and a poser huh? haha j/k
more poser than wimp!

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

most of the fast guys seem to get a set scrubbed in in the first few corners
crap...it takes me 2 laps...i guess i'm in the rear of the slow pack! ahhahahahah

Old 05-23-2007, 04:18 PM

Awesome thanks for the info guys! I thought that the film that was on there didn't come off until it was scraped up by the ground. Again I appreciate your brains and experience with riding! =) Now to head to the other topic to see more info and try to pick out the right set of tires as I'll be getting them some time next week. 8k isn't too bad though for the stock dunlops.

Mike

Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: snowboarding82

8k isn't too bad though for the stock dunlops.

Mike
Hang on a second... yeah, I've got two sets for ya. I'll even give 'em to you at a discount, how's $4K and I'll pay shipping?

Lemme know...

Old 05-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Retired Moderator

I use sandpaper. (racing buddy recommended this to me).

Take some sandpaper and lightly sand the entire surface of the tire. Therefore, when you hit a part of the tire that you've never scrubbed in (like the edges), you won't scare the s**t out of yourself when the bike slides a bit. Some people say heat is enough, I disagree. It's a residue that needs to be scrubbed off, not just heated. (so I've been told).

Old 05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

If you feel like you've gotta take sandpaper to your tires to feel safe - more power to you. But recommending that others hit their tires with sandpaper is unneccesary.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

If you feel like you've gotta take sandpaper to your tires to feel safe - more power to you. But recommending that others hit their tires with sandpaper is unneccesary.
Okay, sorry.

Next time, I'll run all my tips and suggestions through you first for prior approval before posting.

Sorry everyone, my bad. I didn't have kid's approval before giving out a helpful suggestion. It won't happen again.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:12 AM

I just put a PP 2CT on the rear of my 600RR. I rode from my mechanic's shop to a housing development with paved streets, but no houses built yet - 9 miles. I then proceeded to ride several laps on a half-mile loop - 8-9 laps in one direction, then 8-9 laps in the other direction. Presto - the tires were scrubbed in pastthe Michelin man's feet on both side. Total mileage to scrub in: 30 miles

Old 05-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

Eh, no worries.

Just don't let it happen again!

Seriously though - I don't mean to be a ***** (just happens that way), but I've never heard of anyone ever needing to hit tires with sandpaper. There's just no reason for it. My guess is your racing buddy has superstitions.

Quick Reply: Tire break in