General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire break in

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire break in

So I've read on here you should just take it easy for 50-100 miles to break a new tire in, which would be getting the film on the tire off that makes it slippery I guess. Well if you take it easy how to you break in the sides of the tire? I mean doesn't the film or slippery part or whatever it is stay on the sides of the tires so when you start cornering hard don't you just run into the same situation? Maybe I should just get some steel wool and scrub the tires with it!

Mike

Old 05-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Default RE: Tire break in

I always throught the same thing.....

Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 PM

I put my bike up on my stands start it and put it in gear so the tire spins.Then I use a very abrasive sand paper and hold it on the wheel so it scuffs it up. They front takes a little longer but I've never had a problem with new tires being slick after i do this.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:40 AM

i just took it slow and very easly would lean more and more.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Banned

People... sandpaper... really?

The, "slippery stuff" is a lubricant that makes removing the tire from the mold without damage much easier. Once the tire reaches a certain temperature, it dissapates. I don't know what the temperature is, buta sustained trip of 10 miles or ten minutes on a 70 degree day is plenty.

It's not the contact with the surface that removes it, it's the heat. Just take it easy for 20 minutes of solid riding after fresh rubber and you're tires are ready to roll... ah hahaha... sorry.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

The, "slippery stuff" is a lubricant that makes removing the tire from the mold without damage much easier. Once the tire reaches a certain temperature, it dissapates. I don't know what the temperature is, buta sustained trip of 10 miles or ten minutes on a 70 degree day is plenty.

It's not the contact with the surface that removes it, it's the heat. Just take it easy for 20 minutes of solid riding after fresh rubber and you're tires are ready to roll... ah hahaha... sorry.
Exactly. You really do not have to ride many miles to "break in" the tire. In fact if you ride hard in a line for about 5 mins it should be fine. Racers do it all the time, just got to get the tires warm.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 AM

for some reason that doesn't sound right to me, for example even using tire warmers on new tires, they will still be a little slick
its not that big of a deal really you just shouldn't trail brake or grab on the throttle for a couple corners, enough to wear it off anyway

in club racing they let guys with new tires go out on the warm-up lap of a race they aren't in to scrub in new tires

maybe i'm crazy but I still always take it easy for a lap or so before going all out on new tires

Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea woody, you're definitely way crazier than me...i take 2 laps to scrub in the tire!
FWIW...mileage doesn't really have anything to do with it...if you go 100 miles without hitting any turns...are the tires scrubbed in and you ready to hit the first corner?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Banned

I though it took several heat cycles to get a street tire ready to ride hard. The mold release is another story.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned

Apples and oranges here, guys. I might wanna take three laps before I go all out. But you only need toride for about ten minutes of solid riding (not stop and go).

And no, mileage has nothing to do with it. However, it's an indicator as to how long you've been riding. And I know tire warmers get tires... well, warm - but it's not the same type of heat caused by friction.

100 miles is overkill if you're simply trying to prep your tires for aggressive, everyday riding. But... if that's what it takes to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside by all means, go for it.

Quick Reply: Tire break in