General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A tip for those with grip heaters... or planning on installing them

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A tip for those with grip heaters... or planning on installing them

So yea, I guess when I installed my grip heaters awile back, I carelessly overlooked one important step during the install.... WATERPROOFING!! I just stuck the switches in there and plugged the butt connectors right into the back of them, and called it a done deal. All was great... until yesterday. I rode to work.. no problems. During the late morning and early afternoon we had some good rain and t-storms roll through, and my bike was sitting outside in it. I didn't think much of it as it's seen plenty of rain before... until 6:00 came around and I went to leave. Turned the key and hear my fuel pump slowly groan instead of a quick whirr like it usually does, and my HID's are flickering on and off. UH OH! Hit the starter button... CLICK CLICK CLICK[:@] FAK! Dead battery. I double checked to make sure I didn't leave the grip heaters on, even though I didn't use them on the ride in to work cuz it wasn't that cold out, but both were turned off. Bump started the bike and she started right up, and the battery charged right back up no problem.

Soooo only thing I figure is the switches got soaked and shorted out, and either the grip heaters were on due to that, or it caused some other type of battery drain. When I left this morning it started right up normal crank speed, and I turned the grip heaters on this morning cuz it was cold, and I had to flip the switch twice to get them to turn on. So I'm pretty sure that's what happened. So now I've gotta figure out what to do with the switches (maybe find some waterproof switches ?? I dunno) and then use some of that marine electrical stuff (it's like a paste... goes on with a brush) on all of the electrical connectors.

Just an FYI... thought I'd share