General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tight front brakes after tire change.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight front brakes after tire change.

Last weekend I did a tire change to my 97' 900 RR and when I put the front tire back on it was a little tight. Not horrible but tighter than it was when I took it off. I have done several tire changes on this bike and never experienced this. Does anyone know what it could be? anay and all input is sincerely appreciated. Thx

Cap

Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tight front brakes after tire change.

did you accidentally squeeze the lever or the lines? doing so may/would cause the pistons to extend ever so slightly...just enough for it to feel 'tighter' than before.

you can take off the calipers, remove the pads and then physically push in the pistons just a tiny bit.

same thing just happened with my rear brake when i swapped my tire.

if you haven't you should remove the slider pin that holds the brake pads on there and lube it so the pads can slide back and forth. make sure those pins are pitted either. if they aren't too bad, you can sand them down.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 AM

Did you put the spacers back in correctly? I believe there is a right and left side wheel spacer.. One is about .020." wider than the other. If this is the case, you may be pushing the wheel to one side too much.

If you did squeeze your lever a bit, the pads should go back when released so I don't think thats the issue.

Do you hear any dragging or noises when the wheel is rotated?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:11 PM

did you check for proper gap between the caliper and disc the right fork can slide on the axle and if the gap is not set right it will rub on the disc I would also check your pads and make sure they didn't move there are little tabs on the spring pad int he caliper if the pad slides a bit out of position it can bend these tabs causing the pads not to move properly causing drag