General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a test for a bad ICM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a test for a bad ICM?

Wondering if there's a way to find out if my ICM is bad. I know I could just get a new one and hope for the best, but at $500, I'd rather there be another way.

I have a 91 cbr600f2. I've had problems with it charging, so I replaced the stator and the r/r. That didnt fix it, so I got a whole new wire harnes and solenoid. After that, I have power, but pressing the starter button does nothing. All of the wires have tested fine: no shorts, breaks, etc. I'm starting to wonder if it's the ICM?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 AM

what do you mean it does nothing? does it crank over? run for a few seconds? die after riding? what happens?
the ICM controls more than starting, there are lots more to it than just a bad ICM, it could be dead or simply could use a flash.
there are also sensors all over the place, any of wich can send the computer to kill the engine. even something as small as a kick stand sensor or crank position, or MAP/MAF sensor all of which can cause the engine not to start.

if you have done the basics and it still wont crank over, you might want to stop spending all sorts of money on random parts and take it in.

sometimes its better to bike the bullet and get it done.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered Users

I turn the key and all of my lights come on, like they should. Pressing the button kills the headlight, like it should, but the engine does not crank. I had been able to start it by jumping the solenoid. The bike runs and drives fine after that, but the battery doesnt charge. I most likely will end up taking it in, just wanted to find out if theres a cheap way to find out if its the icm first.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 AM

have you tried to see if you can get a friends bike of simmilar age/model and swap parts.
if you can jump the solenoid, check to see if its getting power, its nothing more than a big relay so its easy to check.
if you do jump it and get it running, does it stay running? and can you actually drive it?
and have you checked to see you are getting proper voltage with the bike running?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Registered Users

The solenoid is new. Running (and idling), the voltage stays the same as when the bike was not running. Just for sake of throwing a number out, its at 12.53 right now. Turning the key drops it to 11.83, start it, it stays at 11.83. Bringing the rpm up above 3000 (at which point im told it should start charging itself) drops it down very briefly, then its back to 11.83 or slightly lower. It can be ridden. After a 15 minute ride, 35mph max, the battery was at 10.34. All of the wires tested fine (voltage, continuity, etc). I dont know anyone else with the same bike, but there is a motorcycle salvage yard near me that may have one I can "test".

Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Have you actually checked the battery as it sounds as though it might not be able to hold a charge, especially if you have a duff cell or cells. I would have the battery checked out first at a battery supplier-they are normally very helpful in this respect. If you are jumping the solenoid then it would point to a problem from the starter button to the solenoid.