General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tech help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tech help please!

Hey all just new to the board. Unfortunatly i hav eto start with a problem post. I just bought an 08 cbr 600 about three weeks ago. only has 6000 kms on her. I have rode it about six times. Went out last Saturday, stopped for about half an hour, then the bike wouldnt start. I bump started to get home and thought it was a battery issue. Tried 24 hrs later and just that ticking while tryin to go. Soo, now i have a brand new battery fully charged and mount it this morning, try to turn her over and it wont start. the ticking isnt there, fuel pump and everything goes but it just seems like the engine wont catch. I would love to hear some of your guys advice or experience before I take it to the shop. Thanks and looking forward to being a member of the site!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM

Was just told from a friend that it is probably fouled plugs. He thinks from the old crappy battery. Can anyone say that sounds right. I was thinking it could be the stator?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:34 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I doubt it is fouled plugs. FI bikes don't flood like carbed bikes do. Now will the engine turn over? Can you start it by push starting it?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:02 PM

could be the plugs. If the engine was turning over too slow for the engine to catch, it can foul the plugs. These engines need to spin pretty fast in order to catch, and if your bike is dumping gas in, but not firing fast enough, it can easily fould the plugs. but normally, you'd still have some sign of it trying to start. it would cough and sputter.

The stator won't stop it from being able to start. These bikes run off the battery and the stator only recharges the battery. If the battery is good, it should run.

Most FI systems are equiped with a fuel cut off that activates when you apply full throttle to start the bike. This allows the fuel to not enter the cylinder, but allows you to clear out the combustion chamber. I would apply full throttle, crank it for a few seconds, let it rest, and crank it again. Do this a few times. Then, do not apply any throttle and try it again.

I would do the normal checks though. start with the easy ones then onto the harder ones. Make sure your killswitch is not pressed though. Wouldn't be the first time thats happened.

I do have a question though. Did you jump the bike or possibly touch the battery terminals together at any point during the battery change? if so, check all of your fuses. You may have just blown a fuse.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Hi. I own a 2002 CBR 600 F1 and from experience I know that these fuel injected bikes need a good battery to get them to start. Mine turned over what seemed fast enough to me, but it still wouldn't start until I had charged the battery up overnight. You need to see around 13.5 to 14.2 volts across the battery terminals after charging. I know you have a new battery, but did you fully charge it befor fitting it to your bike? Try using jump leads from a good battery to your battery and see if the extra voltage helps. If it does start and keeps running, check the voltage across the terminals and rev the bike to see if the voltage increases. Another way to tell if the battery is charging is to rev the bike with the headlight on and look to see if the light brightens and dims as you rev and release the throttle. Hope you sort it soon while the sun continues to shine!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. I checked the output of the new battery I did charge it to 100%. I took the advice and cleared the chamber, it started up right away. I left it running for awhile and seemed good. I then checked the plugs to see if they were fouled. I pulled them out and they looked good. A little dirty but I replaced anyway. Bike is running great now. Thankyou all for the help. Glad I posted since I was going to probably end up just taking it to the shop because they told me it was probably my stator and doing my plugs was a waste of time. Now I know what shop I won't be going to.