General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swirl Mark Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl Mark Removal?

What do you guys use to remove swirl marks on paint? My bike though religiously washed and waxed is showing its age in the form of swirl marks. There are far too many products on the market. In my research I learned theres products that just fill in the swirls and last only a day or two and there are other more abrasive options that actually get rid of the swirls. Anyone know if its possible to do the removal all by hand and which products should be used?

Old 09-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Default RE: Swirl Mark Removal?

I use the S100 brand spray on detail wax, can't remember the name for sure. There are many different waxes out there that will cover up swirl marks. I bet Honda Polish will also.

Old 09-10-2005, 12:57 AM

you'd need a buffer and some compound... well under $100 for a cheapy, you should only do it a few times without an extensive custom clear coat

Old 09-10-2005, 12:59 AM

if you do it by hand it'll never be even...

Old 09-10-2005, 11:30 PM

What color is the Bike ? if it"s not black you can do it by hand. I prefer 3M brand but can be hard to find. Meguiar's is good and easier to find. Don't get a compound. it's way more abrasive then you need. Meguiar's makes a good swirl remover. If you do use a buffer use a foam waffle pad....and be very very careful around vinyl stickers and graphics

Old 09-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Its a yellow/black 99 F4. Primary color being yellow and the swirls seem to be most prominent on the yellow...go figure. It has never had it done before and I do know you will eventually eat through the clear coat if done too often. I have heard that you can do it by hand using a swirl remover but if you use anything more abrasive that a buffer is better. Any idea what a detail shop would charge to just have it done?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:44 PM

I wouldn't think it would be more then $50 to get it buffed..... it have my tahoe detailed every 3-4 mos and I pay $125 for inside and out minor chips touched up everything.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:56 PM

Now I think that buffing just makes things worse. I have had my car detailed before and they buffed it. It put all kinds of swirl marks in the car. I never have had a buff detail that hasn't. I always end up hand waxing my car to get the buff marks out. I can only imagine it would be the same with a bike.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:38 PM

You need to find a new detail shop..... when i get mine back from a detail there are no swirl marks ever. find a shop that does mostly high end cars. My cost you $20-30 more but it will be worth it

ORIGINAL: josho66

Now I think that buffing just makes things worse. I have had my car detailed before and they buffed it. It put all kinds of swirl marks in the car. I never have had a buff detail that hasn't. I always end up hand waxing my car to get the buff marks out. I can only imagine it would be the same with a bike.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: 2manytoys

You need to find a new detail shop..... when i get mine back from a detail there are no swirl marks ever. find a shop that does mostly high end cars. My cost you $20-30 more but it will be worth it

ORIGINAL: josho66

I don't take my cars to detail shops I only do it myself. I am talking about when you buy a new car from a dealership most of them buff the car. I have seen TONS of detail jobs and they have swirl marks in them. Yes there are shops that do a good job but a lot that don't. If someone wants to buff a car or bike they need to take some time to learn how to do it. It takes some skill to properly buff something and not make it look worse. I still prefer a good swirl removing hand wax.

Quick Reply: Swirl Mark Removal?