General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension. upgrade or repair???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension. upgrade or repair???

Hi all
I’m new to the forum, (finding the navigation confusing) so go easy on me! Anyway, I’m based in the U.K., I have a 1992 900rr that I purchased recently (fantastic bike-love it!) Someone along the way, had sort of decided to turn it into a street fighter. I say, “sort of” as whoever it was, didn’t finish the job. Most of the issues with the bike are minor (poor wiring modifications, instrument panel loose, etc...) The main problem I have with the bike is the front and rear suspension. The forks don’t seem too bad, I might be able to get away with replacing the oil and springs (or maybe not!!) The rear shock is totally worn and needs rebuilding or replacing. Before I start throwing money at the bike, I just need a bit of advice from you good people out there. I know very little about fireblades. I’m gonna check/service all of the bearings and linkages over the winter. Do I get the rear shock and possibly the forks rebuilt?, or are their replacements from other bikes that will bolt on without too much hassle or do I buy new forks/shock? Buy the way, I’m not a lottery winner, politician or drug dealer, so please don’t start recommending gold plated, diamond coated components that are worth more than the bike! I just want the bike to handle and ride as it should, and get a few more years of use from my kidneys and back! Anyway, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you one and all.

Mazza

Old 12-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Mazza, welcome to the forum.

To get to the point of your question - the rear shocks are quite cheap to buy secondhand in decent condition - I've had a quick browse and there are loads of the OEM shocks at sub-£100 prices that appear in useable condition and from reputable vendors.

I would make sure you check with the seller that they have no leaks and that the adjustment screws work normally as these are the most common points of failure - it also gives you cause to return them if they are faulty.

You can't rebuild the OEM shock so it is either going to be this route or taking up selling white powders to city bankers for decent aftermarket ones (Ohlins seem a favourite).

Front forks I would service first and check for any damage as the OEM setup is still good when in decent shape and it doesn't cost much for seals and oils. Check the sprint lengths to make sure they are servicable but these can be replaced for less than £100 with new aftermarket replacements.

Good luck with the build.