General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surging?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging?

Hey All Any help would be great.

I got an 02 f4i and between 3-5k it surges? Anybody ever have this experience. I got a slip on, dont know if i have k&n air filter, i would imagine stock. I have noticed that when i add a small amount of fuel injector cleaner or fuel additive to already 91 octane its goes away. i havent gotten a tune up yet, could that be the problem?

any clues would be great....

Thanx!

Old 09-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Default RE: Surging?

I have an 06 600RR that does the same thing, and after searching for an answer I learned the following, which
I am passing on. Not sure if your bike is injected but...

1- Apparantly the stock fuel map in the ECU is specifically maped to meet 'emission' standards. Meaning that Honda
may not have designed the map to provide smooth engine speed. I looked at the stock map, and it has a steep drop off in the fueling from 3750 rpm to 4250 at 10% throttle.

On my bike this means if I am holding throttle around 10% at 3750 rpm the bike accelerates, and as the revs go above 4000 the fuel drops off (even though the trottle is steady) and the bike slows to around 3750, and so on back and forth that results in my surging.

2 - I am told that a Power Commander will help, as this allows you to modify the map at specific points. Havent' done this yet by plan to.

Good luck, and hope you can find a solution.
Chris

Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 PM

Yeah i got an 02 f4i which FI ( fuel injected) but the surging is hella noticable and sucks when you go into the corners. I have been told by many to just change the spark plugs... so im going to try that first... then when able go to the power commander but thanks the reply!

Old 09-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cjp48

I have an 06 600RR that does the same thing, and after searching for an answer I learned the following, which
I am passing on. Not sure if your bike is injected but...

1- Apparantly the stock fuel map in the ECU is specifically maped to meet 'emission' standards. Meaning that Honda
may not have designed the map to provide smooth engine speed. I looked at the stock map, and it has a steep drop off in the fueling from 3750 rpm to 4250 at 10% throttle.

On my bike this means if I am holding throttle around 10% at 3750 rpm the bike accelerates, and as the revs go above 4000 the fuel drops off (even though the trottle is steady) and the bike slows to around 3750, and so on back and forth that results in my surging.

2 - I am told that a Power Commander will help, as this allows you to modify the map at specific points. Havent' done this yet by plan to.

Good luck, and hope you can find a solution.
Chris
Was about to say the same. My 600RR does the same, I usually just kick it down a gear to get the RPM out of that range. FYI: Powercommander works great for this (buddy just got one for his 06 600RR) cleared the problem, and the engine runs MUCH smoother now too.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:27 AM

Can someone explain "surging"? I think this might be what I'm experiencing.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 PM

well my bikes surging was like this .... at for example it wouldnt hold at 4K rpm... and it jump down and up which translated to a push pull effect. and the speed wouldnt stay constant either... i was either going to 25 26 25 24 25 26mph...... but unlike the others its nots smooth

hope that kinda gives you an idea of what im talkn about.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Hey,

Bringing a relatively old post back to life. I am experiencing this same exact issue with my bike (01' F4i). My speedometer will bounce back and forth between 1 mph at steady throttle and you can see the tachometer needle bouncing a little. Mostly apparent between 3k-6k, but it does it even at lower and higher RPMs. The thing is that it just started doing this and I've owned the bike for 2 years now. It seems to be getting progressively worse. This is the only post on the subject that I can find. I've been lurking on these boards for a while but just haven't posted yet for some reason. I was just wondering if there was ever a definitive resolution to this problem. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help available : )

Mike

Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM

Does it smell of gas after warming up?

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Nope, little more detail. No particular odors from the bike at idle or with high rpms,etc. It only does it while moving. The rpms are steady at around 1100 when sitting at idle. It will do it while coasting. If I have steady throttle applied at say 6k and then I let off you can still feel the pulsating as the bike slows down.You can notice at 10-15 mph that the bike is jerking. However at lower speeds is not as consistent at higher speeds. Meaning that at normal speeds (above 20) you can watch the tach needle bounce. Where as at lower speeds (5-15) it's intermittent, the jerking doesn't have a rhythm to it so to speak. I have stock everything, there are no mechanical modifications to the bike. Hope this helps, I'm going on vacation for five days leaving this evening. That's one reason I figured I'd throw this out there, hopefully lots of good ideas when I get back. I'll be ready to dig into it when I return on Sunday. Thanks again everybody and hopefully I can actually start posting here a little bit, get to know you guys : )

Mike

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on the bike? Is it time for valve check? Throttle bodies may need synced. When was the last time you changed the plugs?