General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for storing engine parts from a tear down...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for storing engine parts from a tear down...

I'm tearing down my F3 over this winter to replace some tranny gears. I've done alot of basic auto mechanics...but have never tackle a project this involved. This has been a slow learning process. My friend and I are doing the work in a dettached garage where the temps will swing from just under 30 to just under 50 when we have the space heaters blasting. My concern is the internal engine hardware rusting or fouling from being exposed to damp winter air now that the oil and coolant has been drained. I've been plastic bagging the most of the hardware (clutch assembly, shift drum and forks, etc) we pull w/out cleaning it..just so it has a coating of motor oil on it. The cams, cylinder head, and crank block (pistons and cylinders) are my real concern. Any suggestions on keeping those parts in good condition if they end up sitting apart for a few weeks? Should I drape a oiled shop towel over the open crank block? Any feedback or pointers are welcome....especially any common sense. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for storing engine parts from a tear down...

I have used rubbermaid totes to store parts in. Maybe put a very thin layer of CLEAN unused motor oil on internal parts. You could go as far as puttting a box of opened baking soda in the tote to get the moisture out.