General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator?

hey im back with that same ol 98 f3 i have completely eliminated a fuel issue with the bike its all top notch now . .when i bought it the guy said he was riding it and it started bucking and jerking on him out of no where (on the interstate) he was able to limp it home and later sucker me into buying it i was just wondering if its possible that the stator be the cause of this issue? its fine revving in the barn it will idle all day long but you put a load on that thing and it gets pissy . .any ideas? im thinking stator and or ignition pulse generator . . the bike has 20K BTW . .any help would be greatly apreciated

Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe coils
Partial fuel blockage in the petcock ? When did you last clean the carbs and jets.....?
If it'll idle all day, then it's not the stator or regulator/rectifier .Not likely coils either.
My guess would be fuel starvation.
Good luck with it...........

Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 AM

carbs are clean fuel flows freely have good set of coils on it new plugs . . .im really considering ligthing this thing on fire

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Have you checked for vacuum leaks anywhere? Mainly I would look around the carb boot mounts. You can start the bike up and spray some starting fluid around the carb base and see if the engine revs. You can also check around any sealing surface of the engine. Just use very light and quick spurts of it. You don't want to lay it on there thick, or you just might end up "lighting this on fire"

Have you checked your voltage at a high rpm? In very rare situations, the stator can be strong enough to run the bike and charge the battery, but be too weak to keep up with the demand of high rpm running. But, it is an rpm related thing, not a load thing. it wouldn't show up from just a load on it. Its probably not the issue, but I would still check it to see how the voltage reacts to higher rpms.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM

Thanks Ill look into it . .what about an ignition pulse generator? i wont rule out vaccum leaks yet but im still stuck on electyrical cuz the guy said this happened when he was riding at 70 but ill check otherwise thanks guys

Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 AM

It could be the pulse generator. But usually it will just be a no start condition. But there is the possibility it is failing at load. Check the resistance on it to make sure its within spec. if its out of range, change it.

Can you re describe exactly what its doing? Does the rpm fluxuate? or does the bike just surge really bad? Can you ride it easy and have it ride normally?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike was bucking and jerking a couple days ago... She's all good now.

This f3 you have starts up fine? Is it fresh off a battery tender when you start it? Have you gone anywhere that you've shut it off and tried to restart it before you returned home?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 AM

it surges terribly . . . .if i smack into it i mean WTFO i can ride thru it it wont surge but it will kind of hesitate then go but by then im doin 90 so i gotta back off . .if i try riding easy ittl surge and buck and jerk and sometimes just bog down, i can really only ride at like 30 mph in higher rpms, the bike starts right up no issues i turn the choke on and hit the button and its pretty much instant when it starts turnin over no prolonged cranking or anything

Old 05-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by meggers
My bike was bucking and jerking a couple days ago... She's all good now.

This f3 you have starts up fine? Is it fresh off a battery tender when you start it? Have you gone anywhere that you've shut it off and tried to restart it before you returned home?
also i just bought the bike back in march or so havent messed weith it to much so i havent had a chance to ride it anywhere and do further diag . . .i would if i had an M on my license but i dont and i dont need a bike breaking down on me and where im at the cops are terrible so thats the lat thing ineed is to be broken down without a license in a sense . . . .lmao that cop would have to break out a whole new ticket book for my a$$

Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM

From your description, it sounds throttle position sensitive. Which means you either have a lean condition or rich condition lower in the rpm range.

I know the previous owner said it just started to happen while he was riding it. But you can only trust someone selling something so much. Its very possible he messed with it and didn't want to admit he screwed something up.

I would still check for the air leaks creating a lean condition. Beyond that, you'll have to tear into the carbs again and see why its running poor in the low throttle input. Since it clears up some when your on the throttle, the main jet has taken over and compensation for the lack of fuel of what sounds like a lean condition. Inspect the pilot jets for proper adjustment and make sure they are clean. Also if your bike is equiped with the carbs that have the rubber diaphram in the top, make sure they are seated properly and not torn. If anyone had the carbs apart, the diaphram can easily become distorted when putting it back together.

Quick Reply: Stator?