General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problem

ok first my bike wont start so i have to either use jumper cables or a charger but when i do get it started and i roll off the throttle my bike turns off what could be the problem here?

thanks

Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 PM

What are you jumping it with? Sounds like your battery is bad and maybe your rectifier also. Hopefully you did not use a running car to jump start the bike. I would take the battery out and take it to a auto parts store and have them test it.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 PM

I did use a running car to jump start it and i took it to auto electric place and my battery is bad. whats wrong with using a running car to jump start? and could i have another problem on top of my battery problem?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well by using a runnin car you can damage the ecm or other components.You can use a car as long as it's not running and just for a few seconds.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM

Sounds like it's just your battery. Using a running car can damage some of your electrical components on the bike, because of the amps a car's alternator puts out.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 PM

i used a running car to jump start a few times is it possible i messed up my bike because of this?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Since you know the battery is bad I would just throw a new one in and then check the voltage going to the battery with a voltmeter. With the bike off you should get a reading around 12.6 volts, with the bike running it should be around 13.2 to 14 volts i think. If you get a good reading then chances are you did not mess anything up.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 AM

thanks for the help, ill get it all checked out tomrrow

Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM

One of the things I have done when the battery was discharged,was to use a regular household extension cord to connect to a car battery. I think the resistance of the small wires kept the electronics of the bike from being damaged. I pulled them apart to ensure I didnt mix them at the terminals. It was an emergency 'fix' that worked. Anybody have thoughts on this in a pinch?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:48 PM

If you get it running, then you're no longer using the battery whatsoever. If it's dying AFTER you get it started, your problem is far bigger than just a battery.

First and foremost, pop off your tail fairing and see if the R\R is melted. If it LOOKS ok, start testing it:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-93/regulator-rectifier-r-r-problem-solved-27739/

A bad R\R can cause exactly this symptom, AND totally destroy a battery beyond charging. If your R\R IS bad, replace it with a nice one from a GSXR or R6. Don't stick another junk Honda one on there.

Quick Reply: starting problem