General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter issues

Hey there i have a 98 cbr f3 and sometimes if i let the bike sit for a few days and i go to start it . .it will turn over nice and fast then come to an abrupt hault, . . .and im worried it may leave me stranded one day, if i hold the start button it will dim the lights to the point where they shut off and sloooooooowly turn like half an rpm lol then it will all of a sudden come to life and start cranking . .any ideas? any help is greatly apreciated . .thank you

Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Definitely sounds like a flat battery that is losing its charge when stood for any length of time. Try a good overnight charge and if that doesn't help it may be time for a new battery, preferably a Yuasa.

Originally Posted by 87turbobuick
Hey there i have a 98 cbr f3 and sometimes if i let the bike sit for a few days and i go to start it . .it will turn over nice and fast then come to an abrupt hault, . . .and im worried it may leave me stranded one day, if i hold the start button it will dim the lights to the point where they shut off and sloooooooowly turn like half an rpm lol then it will all of a sudden come to life and start cranking . .any ideas? any help is greatly apreciated . .thank you

Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM

i thought that but when i turn it over it turns fast as can be then just stops, and if try and try it just clicks but if i hold it ittl slooooowly start to turn over then kick itself in the a$$ and start turnin over fast as can be again

Old 07-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Check and clean all earth connections from the battery to the starter relay and starter as any corrosion would cause the symptoms you describe. The starter button switch may also be connecting intermittently, so take is apart and check, clean and see if that helps. Check the 'kill switch' as well for good contact in the 'run' position.

Originally Posted by 87turbobuick
i thought that but when i turn it over it turns fast as can be then just stops, and if try and try it just clicks but if i hold it ittl slooooowly start to turn over then kick itself in the a$$ and start turnin over fast as can be again