General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter doesn't crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter doesn't crank

I go to turn on the bike but I don't hear the fuel pump prime and the starter won't crank. All I hear is a single loud click noise around the battery compartment. I know the fuel pump works because I tested it on the battery. Any ideas as to what is going on? *2001 CBR F4i*

Old 02-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it sounds like the battery. Even though it had enough power for the fuel pump, not enough to crank the motor. Check the fittings for the battery anyway & maybe a look at your fuses.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 PM

Pacemaker- the battery is brand spanking new. I activated it per Yuasa recommendations. I highly doubt that it would be the battery. The thing is this bike hasn't been started in 9 years and I am ready to turn her on. The first time I gave it a try she cranked the starter. Now all i hear is the clicking noise around the battery. Is there a step by step on what to do to troubleshoot this type of problem?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does sound from the description that the battery is weak. Typically the clicking is your soleniod trying to make the relay switch, but doesn't have enough juice to do it. Either that or a main fuse or relay is faulty.

Try jumpstarting from a non-running car.

If nothing else, you can use jumpercables to bypass the starter relay - clamp one end onto the positive terminal of the battery, and touch the other end to the positive terminal on the starter and see if it tries to roll it over that way. Then you at least know the problem is between the starter and the battery (IE: solenoid or wiring)

The following users liked this post:
BoomBang (08-29-2021)
Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Adrenal junky I will test the starter directly to overpass the relay. To do that im guessing that i have to pull all of the fuel injection system in order to access the starter. Good thing that I have Monday and Tuesday off.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Before you go tearing your bike apart try one thing first...I know that your battery is brand new but these things are really tempermental about them..just go in and make sure that all your connections are good and that the terminal bolts don't bottom out in the battery post...a connection that seems tight but actually isn't will keep these bikes from turning over...will only take a couple seconds just to check...I'm a technician for a living and ran myself ragged for a couple of hours on my bike and all I had to do was straighten a connection at my battery

Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by orangef3
Before you go tearing your bike apart try one thing first...I know that your battery is brand new but these things are really tempermental about them..just go in and make sure that all your connections are good and that the terminal bolts don't bottom out in the battery post...a connection that seems tight but actually isn't will keep these bikes from turning over...will only take a couple seconds just to check...I'm a technician for a living and ran myself ragged for a couple of hours on my bike and all I had to do was straighten a connection at my battery
Wasn't that. I made sure all of the connections were nice and snug. The Fuel pump doesn't prime as well.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 AM

Wasn't that. I made sure all of the connections were nice and snug.
You may want to also check the connections at the starter relay as well as the ground to the frame, not just at the battery. if the starter relay is corroded, it can cause issues like this.

Its odd though that your fuel pump is not priming. that would lead me to think you have a faulty switch somewhere. Killswitch, kickstand or neutral saftey switch come to mind. I would check those as well since they are easy to check.

Another thing to consider is if you perhaps blew a fuse. It sounds as though one of the main fuses has blown. Did you by chance touch the wrench to any part of the bike while connecting the battery cables? If so, you may have a blown main fuse. I would check all fuses at this time.

But as others have said, it certainly sounds as though either the battery is not fully charged, or something is preventing the charge from reaching the bike such as weak connections somewhere.

Since it sat for 9 years, any number of things could have happened. I would remove the fairings and begin checking the wiring to make sure mice didn't chew through any of them.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 AM

one more thing I can think of...By any chance when you were getting her ready for the road did you remove the front cowl or do anything around the headlight...If so it's possible(not sure how likely but possible) that the bank angle sensor thinks that the bike is laying on it's side...you could try resetting that. If I'm not mistaken what that does is keep the fuel pump from running in the event of a crash...Not really sure what effect it has on the starter though...Maybe somebody with more profound knowledge on that can help out but I think it's worth investigating. hope that helps...good luck

Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 AM

Ok this is where I'm at so far: Checked the fuses beside the battery and at the starter relay. None of them were broken. I sanded all of the ground points of contact on the frame to make sure that the ground was making good contact. I also confirmed with a testing light that the starter was receiving power from the battery.

Just so everybody is clear my goal is to get the starter cranking. Not to get the bike started yet. All of the plastics are off of the bike as well as the air cleaner box and the gas tank.

Since I got a new fuel pump and tested it out of the box I know it works. Its just when I connected the fuel pump to the bikes wiring harness the pump didn't prime upon turning the ignition on. Now I don't know if that has something to do with the bank angle sensor but I will read up on that and adjust if necessary.

Quick Reply: starter doesn't crank