General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Stabil or not to Stabil

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Stabil or not to Stabil

Hey Guys,

Its just about storage time for us northeastern guys. I usually store my bike with a full tank of gas w/ Stabil added. I heard once that Stabil can damage the fuel injectors. Has anyone heard this? On the back of the Stabil bottle it says it contains cleaner for the injectors & carbs so I'm thinking this is good. Last season when the person told me this I got worried and drained the tank of gas and Stabil and put in fresh gas before riding. For some reason I don't think its a concern, but I did hear from an experienced bike mechanic who also races. I appreciate and thank all for your feedback.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 PM

I've been using Stabil in my 929 for years over the winter and no problems that I know of.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard any credible evidence that fuel stabilizer will harm the injectors or anything else if used properly. On the flip side, I doubt that storing a vehicle over a single winter without stabilizer will hurt it either.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Ive used stabil in every thing i own , especially motors that dont run for a while. I keep it in my chain saw, my generator, and my 67' cougar and my power tiller, I trust this stuff in a lot of things i own. I cant speak for it in fuel injection applications though, sorry.But ive never heard any adverse effects tho either. you mite mix in a little sea foam fuel treatment with it , as it lubes and protects the internals of the injectors, this mite give you the best of both worlds...peece

Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM

I use Stabil in all of my winterized engines. I also use it in my FI bikes since 2004 and have never had a problem when putting them back in service after five months of unheated storage during Michigan winters. The general opinion of today's modern gasoline is that it starts to deteriorate after 45 days of storage.
I also fill up the metal fuel tanks right to the top as this helps to displace condensation caused by varying temperatures to prevent rusting.

Do what you want ...but it's cheap insurance.

Last edited by OldBalz; 11-12-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 AM

The story I was told by a very experienced bike mechanic (30+years) was to skip the Stabil stuff. He told me to fill the tank with race gas and run it till I could smell the stuff. Then top it off as high as I could get it.

Me mentioned that the Stabil might or might not cause problems with the injectors. He added that race gas breaks down much slower than pump gas and wouldn't hurt anything as long as it's for the winter months.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe he's talking about running the engine on Stabil. I'd ask for clarification.

I doubt it seriously though. I don't see how having Stabil sitting in the engine could cause damage. But as a precaution you could avoid running the bike on stabilized fuel by draining the bike next season and starting with a fresh batch of gas