General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sport touring tires? do they stick well?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sport touring tires? do they stick well?

They say the ride like sport tires and have better mileage. has anyone tried these out. i got a 600rr and i don't ride super aggressive, but i tend to be really hard on the throttle pretty much all the time. I don't want a tire thats going to try and slide out coming out of a curve hard on the throttle.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: sport touring tires? do they stick well?

I have found my current tyres, Bridgestone 020's pretty good, have not given them a full test in the wet yet. I've had the rear on for a while & had no problems with feel and grip (for my style of riding). tyres have to wear, their designed that way to keep adhesion to the road. Bridgestone 020's just have a thicker centre patch for extra milage and therefore take a bit longer to warm up..
Tyre choice is a personal thing, If you trust wot you have on your bike, then it won't mess with your head when you suddenly have to do some serious lean angles or go for the brakes on a wet ****ty afternoon.
My own opinion, the current crop from the well known manufacturers, are all great. And are getting better every year

Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 AM

i been looking into the same thing as you. and it seems each brand has a little trick here and there with there tires to make them last longer. although michelin is coming out with a new tire this fall that will beat them all. the pilot road 2 success it wont be out till the fall thoug. it is a 2 compound tire like the pilot 2ct is.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i
michelin is coming out with a new tire this fall that will beat them all.
Why, because some marketing person said so? Predicting that without any real world facts is foolish at best.

To the original question, coming out of a corner hard on the throttle is more about *throttle control* than it is stickiness of the tire. No tire is safe if you don't have proper technique. On the street virtually any major tire that is in good shape will perform well.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 AM

Tires these days are amazing. Pilot Powers have more stick than the DOT race tires of a decade ago and wear very good. The sport touring tires aren't meant for hanging off the bike, knee dragging speeds. Spirited commuting, you bet, the occatuional twisty road...bring it on. Track day....umm, no. The big names make some good stuff.

Although, I have seen Pilot Sport Cups (now discontinued I believe)do AMAZING things on the track. its a DOT tire that a lot of guys used as a rain tire (since race rains are against the rules). A friend of mine use dhis on a damp morning and as things dried out left them on....he still ran some fast laps (the tires were in rough shape though).

That said,a tire will give you a lot, if you know how to ask politely....

Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Back in the day when I had my ZX-7 all I ran was a sport tourer tires. Simple way to look at it is harder compound more miles, but less tackyness. Which means your not going to get into itlike you would with a race tire. And in wet conditions I wouldn't push it atall. You also don't want to go to cheap if you tend to go triple digits alot of the lower end tires havelow speed ratings. Good luck.[>:]

Old 04-04-2007, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: TheX

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i
michelin is coming out with a new tire this fall that will beat them all.
Why, because some marketing person said so? Predicting that without any real world facts is foolish at best.

wow could you have said that in a way that could make you look any more of an a**hole????

instead of asking me hey were did you read that and so on and so forth. if you read that i said the michilen pilot roads 2 will or should i rather say should be coming out this fall in the united states. acourding to test done from maggazines it has out preformed other brands. i cant find where i read it but it said they would be avalible in europe first and then america sometime this coming fall. i dont see what the big deal is for them to get them dot approved for america in the next5-6 months if they havnt already been working on it. and they had a similar tyre here already being the 2ct the road 2 is just more of a sport touring tire. that the pilot road2 to my understand is already avalible in the europe. and from doin a little searching i found a place in the uk selling them http://www.tyresite.com/product.asp?...=&PT_ID=38

when i will try and find the site i read the information from and then post it.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 PM

mr. x hit the jackpot on this one.

if you are smooth on the throttle, you wouldn't have much issues running sport tourer tires. sadly to say, most riders are jerky and not smooth, bad lines and have no throttle control...the new generation of tires just helps them mask deficiencies in their riding.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:28 PM

lol tahoe. What you just said it true. I am the type of rider that can ride well and right, but sometimes forgets. Usually depends on my mood. Somedays i am smooth then others i am pissed of and runnin the ***** of my bike. Thank god honda makes a bullet proof motor!

So how much extra mileage can you get out of a touring tire? I think i read some where you could get 5000 out of pirelli diablos sports tires. So what kind of range can you get on the touring tires?

Hell after reading your alls take on things it's sounds better to get a sport tire that doesn't lean towards track usuage would be best. If so what are good sport tires for all around street/commuting(may see some rain damn missouri weather). I would never take this bike to the track. I would ask the local honda shop but the guys a dick and would just try to sell me the most expensive tire and say that exactly what i need. I would rather go off of your guys advice.

Thanks guy and galls

Old 04-04-2007, 06:39 PM

how about pilot road 2s. Anyone tried them out?

Quick Reply: sport touring tires? do they stick well?