General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Tuner?

Ok, so I didn't know where best to post this, so feel free to move it. Anyway, I'm looking at buying another bike, which means selling the '05 F4i. Anyway, the guy said it's got a Speedo Tuner on it. What do you guys know about these things? I looked it up earlier and it says you can correct the mph on your speedometer. Any chance he could use it to change the mileage on the bike? I know, I'm probably overanalyzing, but I don't want to be buying a bike with supposedly 6400 miles that might have 26,400 miles. Thoughts please? The quicker the better, seeing as it is a pretty good deal and I'd be ready to go pick it up tomorrow.

Hope I don't get in trouble for this, but it's an '05 R1 in case anyone wondered. Never owned a yamaha before, only Kawasaki and Honda.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a speedohealer on my bike. The only thing it does is adjust the ratio from the speed sensor so the speedometer reads correctly. Theres nothing that it can do to roll back mileage or anything like that.

However, if you feel the bike has more miles on it that it shows, it still might. The guy could have easily swapped the gauge cluster for a low mileage gauge cluster. thats where the mileage is stored. Honestly, I really don't pay attention to mileage. These bikes go for 100,000 miles easily. If the bike looks to be well maintained, runs and drives good, the seller seems honest and not shady, I buy it. Just know its not hard at all to lie about actual mileage.

One of the best ways of knowing is if the bike has had several owners. The DMV keeps on record the mileage reported on the bike everytime it changes owners. So if the most recent owner decided to change the mileage, it would show up as "not actual mileage", and the DMV will question the mileage. You can still get it registered, but the title will say not actual mileage on it.

Maybe even take a look at the title to make sure it doesnt say that.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 600x3
Anyway, the guy said it's got a Speedo Tuner on it. What do you guys know about these things? I looked it up earlier and it says you can correct the mph on your speedometer.
You can set a Speedo Tuner (SpeedoHealer) to read anything as far as current mph and THAT would cause the total miles to be off. For instance, if it was set to read 10% of the actual speed then the total miles would be off by about that much but it would have to have been done thousands of miles ago and ridden that way the whole time. Setting the value lower would not change the accumulated miles that are already stored in the cluster.