General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Healer Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Healer Setup

My speedo healer arrived today and I'm waiting for my PC III to show up before I tear her apart for the install. Both look like they will be very simple to install, just plug and play. But looking over the speedo healer setup, there are a lot of variables to consider. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has the setup and what method. I have a GPS unit also on order so I'm going to install it on the bike and use that to get my exact speed and use the online calculator to do the setup.

The GPS if just for the bike, I mean it's the only reason I bought it. Simple hand held Magellan Explorist 300 and I bought the bike mount for it. I knew it wouldn't bolt up, it's designed for handle bars, not clip ons and I figured I'd modify it to work. Looking at the limited space we have and steering clearance... anyone have any good ideas on mounting it? The best location I've found so far is the fuel/air box cover. I can remove it and drill four small holes and mount it on top of the tank cover. Bad idea? The holes are very small and if I ever remove it... (don't see why I would) you'd hardly notice them. Or they could be covered up by a small 2"x2" decal.

Anyways.... any tips on how to mount it?

Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Default RE: Speedo Healer Setup

yes... space is definitely limited on our bikes! the fuel/air box cover would be my pick. i think it'd look pretty good there!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:51 AM

I had the same question on the GPS mount and searched and searched... This is the guy I went to. I never got around to installing it on my F4i, but I am getting ready to try it on my 1KRR. It's a little over $100, but at least you won't be drilling any holes in anything.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my PCIII USB and Speedo Healer mounted in the side voids located in the tail. As far as the GPS goes, here might be one way for mounting it.

By the way OldFatGuy, cool pics of your 06 1000RR!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1341/F95010EA57AE4B1985E4CAE97CBFE85B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Retired Mod

i have a camera mount like the one below that i strap my gps to when i want to use it. easy to install and remove and, best of all, no holes to drill. sorry for the small pic but it was kinda hard to find a pic of one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3098/4240B987E5054D79AD110133D6969694.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Retired Administrator

Thanks for the input guys... I made a bracket at work today and I will test fit/ modify it as soon as my tires are in. I'm not comfortable moving the bike a lot while it's up on stands and the wheels are off.

The bracket will replace the washer under the steering stem nut and come back in a block s shape. This will put the GPS in a great spot... I think. I like 05 Tribal’s mount but I was trying to keep it away from the gauges. I'll try mine out and post pics if it works. If it does, it's a simple, cheap mode. Wish me luck.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:36 PM

Don,

Would you mind putting up your calibration numbers (if you still have them)? I'd like to see someone elses numbers to double check my own. It might be interesting to see what the RR calibration vs. the F4i calibration looks like.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Retired Administrator

What method did you use? I did the exact method using a GPS reading.

Total error was +8.6

It was showing 76 and I was only doing 70MPH.

Is that what you're looking for?

Old 04-18-2006, 04:11 PM

Yup, that's what I was looking for. I also used the GPS method, but, with a little gps lag, traffic, hills, curves etc....it's sorta hard to get a good solid reading. I ended up with +5.3% on an '05 F4i. I dunno how that compares to your RR (I was hoping that we'd be closer....).

I guess I'll see tomorrow when it arrives.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Retired Administrator

I did mine at sea level, on a straight section of I64 and had a buddy ride in front of me so I wouldn't worry about running into anything. He hit his horn if we were getting close to anything like a car or a curve. I held mine steady at 70 on the GPS for about 5 seconds then I'd check my speedo reading. I did this three times to make sure it was right.

I'm correcting the numbers in my last post... the 78 to 70 is what his 01 Gixxer 750 reads. Mine was 76 to actually 70. Just caught that. That puts my old reading at +8.6

Quick Reply: Speedo Healer Setup