General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Service times?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Service times?

Hey yall, so Im wondering tif there's a pre-designated time allowance the manufacturer thinks it takes to get something done. Like oil change --this long, tire installation--this long, you know what I mean??

I took my bike in for a few things...Put new tyres on ( front and back) and replace the fork seals.. There telling me its 2hrs for the tyres, front and back, and atleast 3 hrs for the seals. ( its only 1 fork btw) and Im wondering if there taking me for a ride or are they legit..yea and 110 bucks an hour is what they charge..awesome.

peace out!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Default RE: Spec Service times?

rate is 65 per hr here in upstate NY... ill look at my manual.. what do you ride?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 PM

For 110 and hour, I'd learn how to do it myself.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Ok...I know...and I am..I dont have the fancy tire changer tools required, and Im getting an out of Provence Inspection done..after that, all maint is done my be, I have the manual, I was wondering if its fair in the time it takes to do those things...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Oh and its 03 600RR

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: sUshI

Ok...I know...and I am..I dont have the fancy tire changer tools required, and Im getting an out of Provence Inspection done..after that, all maint is done my be, I have the manual, I was wondering if its fair in the time it takes to do those things...

All you need is a stand/jack stands and the service manual. We have downloadable service manuals on this site in General Tech. You could take it off yourself, take it in to have the tire mounted and balanced, and then put it back on yourself. I just learned how to do this a few weeks ago.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 AM

Most shops will change out the ries for a very small fee if you buy the tires from them. As to the oil change, it is normally a per change charge and not based on time they will work on the bike.

I can see seals taking a while though. I don't know about an RR, but on my bike I have to remove the whole front end and then pull the forks apart. (may as well change all seals and oil if you pull them)

Old 04-04-2008, 12:41 PM

Mike what do you ride and why would you not just loosen the triple tree pinch bolt, remove the tire and fender and slide the forks out like on every other bike? And as for the forks it is 1.5 hours per fork if you only got one done they are ripping you a new one. As for 2 hrs to change both tires they are not going by shop times on this due to the fact I think the times for tires are lit .7 or .8 hrs they are going on the time that it really took them it sounds like. As for mounting and balencing I know all the shops here do it for free if you buy the tires from them. I am in lubbock right now. Oh and I would not suggest going back to that shop.