General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to be New Rider with questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Soon to be New Rider with questions

Oh, and while the sv650's have more torque, they don't have the horsepower nor the high rpm hit that supersport 600's have.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: TeeDub

A v-twin power plant is much more predictable and more user friendly for beginners. They make more torque and the power band is down lower where it is more usable on the street.
That's right. Even the Honda Super Hawk, a 1000cc V-Twin, is more "friendly" on the street than a CBR. Look at the powerband of the bike, not the cubic centimeters.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:31 PM

this will be my last comment on this thread before i make to much of a fuss. To Kausi, get the bike you want. if you want the cbr, then get it and be responsible, dont get the sv because you want something with some ***** and people are telling you that its a better beginer bike. if you want a truley beginner learn how to ride a bike then get something smaller like a 500 or even smaller like a 250. you will grow out of it in a short time and they dont look as good but they are built and designed for bieginners, thats there purpose. another idea is to get a 600 that s a few years older.a late f3 or early f4 has about the same power as a new sv and there probably lighter. learn on the older bike and then move up. dont get a bike because other people say you should, get something that you want, otherwise you wont be happy with your choice and if your not happy with your bike then what fun is riding?? get what you want be smart and responsible and you will be fine.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:10 PM

"chillin" is right, buy what ever you want. However, the fact that you are trolling for info here tells me you are at least responsible enough to consult with people that have more experience than you. I only suggest the sv because it is an excellent bike. They aren't too under powered but they wont suprise you as quickly as a 600rr.

I'm not sure why "chillin" thinks the SV is so heavy. According to Motorcyclist magazines "Hard Numbers" the 2004 Suzuki SV650 weighs 429lbs and that is wet. The 2003 cbr600rr according to them, weighs 445lbs. The difference is how they make power, the SV makes 73.5hp at 8750rpm and 47.1 ft/lbs torque at 7250. The 600rr makes 105.4hp @ 13,500rpm and only 42.6 ft/lbs of torque way up at 11,250 rpm. The SV has a much better mid-range and will be easier to manage, plus a much better bike in town because the power is centered more in the middle and not on top. Plus the "bigger" SV weighs 16 lbs less than the Honda cbr600rr.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:03 AM

I'm going to offer a perspective that is probably not popular here with the general consensus. I'm not saying its right or better but just something for you to think about and consider.

First, lets starts with some assumptions/facts:
1. you are a new rider with little to no experience.
2. your desire is to ride a sportbike which implies that you [eventually] want to ride it aggressively.

Now on to my soapbox...

Several here have said that you should get what you want or you'd otherwise be unhappy. I disagree with that. Keep in mind that this is your first bike. If you truly end up loving sportbike riding, then it won't be your last bike. No matter what you get, there will always be something newer and better out there. So there will always be some degree of dissatisfaction.

People have often said that you can start on a 600 as long as you ride responsibly and keep your head. I think that's true 99% of the time. Its that 1% that can kill you. 600s are so smooth (yes, even the older ones) that many are riding high speed without even realizing it. I'm sure we've all experienced looking down at our speedos and saying, "Oh ****! I'm doing 90mph". Now put a new rider in the twisties, cruising along being as responsible as can be and then......BOOM....you in a corner too hot. What do you do???? (there is no right or wrong answer here as there are likely several options) This is where the 600 can be outright deadly and people learn that a 600 isn't as forgiving as once thought.

In these situations, the higher horsepowered bikes would prefer to throw you off and continue on their merry way. But its these situations that you need to learn to suvive on the streets. Things like panic breaking, mid-turn steering adjustments, when and when not to apply the throttle are not easily learned on a 600 (though not impossible). In these situations, the smaller, lighter, less powerfull and more forgiving bike is what will teach you what to do and not do in a safer (and hopefully, less painful) manner. And isn't that the point of your first bike (which brings me to the first assumption/fact)???

Some have said that if you get a small bike as your first bike that you'll be wanting something with more power in a short time. Though I have no evidence or hard data to support this, IMHO, I believe the people who say this are the ones who are only concerned with going fast in a straight line and don't carry the corner speed. A small bike will force you to use all available horsepower and carry the corner speed (which brings me to the second assumption/fact). You'll learn much faster how to ride aggressively and ride a sportbike the way it was designed to. Take it to the track and you'll learn [quite quickly] the advantages to starting on a small bike.

Anyway, this is just a perspective from an avid track rider who pushes his bike more than the average street rider. Ultimately, the choice is yours. Just realize that your choices can have serious consequences. I believe a smaller bike will better prepare you for all the crap that the street will throw at you.

Good luck!!

Old 10-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Retired Mod

my advise to anyone who is new to riding, buy a used bike. you never truely know if a bike is right for you untill you spend a few thousand miles in the saddle. a used bike will save you alot of depreciation over a new bike. stick with something 3 years old or older. that way if you decide to sell it (to move up or move to a different style of bike) you can get alot of your initial investment back. as far as size goes, buy what you like and feel that you can handle. face it, ANY bike can kill or injure you, regardless of power output. but as stated in other posts above, higher horsepower bikes will get out of control faster than more beginner friendly bikes. also, mopeds will outrun 1000's if you don't twist the throttle. but being that you are new to riding, im assuming that you are smart enough to ride carefully on anything. so i would say buy what you want and enjoy the hell out of it.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:37 PM

I would definitely agree a 110% with the 929, start out with a used bike. Sure, go to the
stealerships and checkout the different bikes and see how they fit, but then jump on something
like cycletrader.com and search for a 2-3yr old bike. Chances are real good that you'll want
to sell that first bike after your first season of riding. If you buy new, you're almost guaranteed
to lose money on it if you sell if after one year. It always amazes me how many bikes are for
sale that have been sitting in someones garage with 2-3k miles on the odo.

I think sometimes it probably seems more convienent for the new rider to buy from a dealership
do to the lack of experience with buying a used bike. But the process of buying used is actually
a whole lot easier (IMHO) than buying new. Just check out the threads on buying a used bike to
make sure you're familiar with the basics. When you're ready to buy, just rent trailer to haul it
home (or have an experienced friend ride it back for you). The paperwork is a piece of cake,
pretty much just a matter of signing over the title to you. I think as serious riders gain experience
with bikes, the dealerships become more of a showroom than anything else (that is unless you've
got the cash to burn on the latest and greatest).

Ok, so now that this thread is about 2 weeks old, Kausi, did you end up buying a new ride? If so,
which one?

-Sparrow

Old 11-06-2005, 02:25 PM

In reality i`d ghet the bike your gonna keep for a while after all it only goes as fast as you open the throttle, getting a smaller bike is the wisest idea but it can get costly when you only keep it a short time and then want to change. If your honest about your ability i`d get the 600RR and take it easy.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 AM

You know I personally think that a CBR 600rr is fine for you AS LONG AS you the rider police yourself accordingly! That means take it easy don’t be a dumb ***. Respect the road, the bike and pay attention to your surroundings! Try not to become a statistic! The bike it self will do what you tell it to, if you wanna go fast then you can but you are the one in control, weather or not you develop into a safe ride depends on yourself not the bike so a 600 CBR in my opinion is not to big for a beginner, in fact I was bored of mine in a matter of months and moved up to a 954rr but again it all depends on the person. As for the 650 don’t even bother, if a CBR 600 is the bike you want then go ahead you’re the one who is going to be riding it. Just remember take it easy for a few months and get a feel for it! Happy riding. Just make sure you get frame sliders, a good jacket and full insurance...LOL

Old 11-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Default RE: where to guy cages for my 05 rr

i was wondering where i could find a stunt cage for my 2005 cbr 600r i have looked everywhere and i cannot find one for the 05. so if any one has some help i would apperciate it>.

Quick Reply: Soon to be New Rider with questions