General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to be New Rider with questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be New Rider with questions

Hello i'm new to these forums, and i'm thinking of purchasing a CBR 600. I was hoping you could answer some questions for me before I decide to buy. My first question is I guess the bigest question on my mind, is the honda cbr 600 to much bike for someone who has never rode. I do plan to take the motorcycle training course before I ever attempt to jsut get on one, but i'm worried that even after I take this course will this bike be to much for me. Also my other question is I have never had the option of seeing a honda cbr up close or getting to set on one, so with me being 5'9 140 would I have any problem holding this bike up. Well i'm sure you guys can help and any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

Old 10-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Default RE: Soon to be New Rider with questions

your height/weight should be perfect fit on a 600rr. and you shouldnt have a problem with holding it up. im 5'8 130-135 and i was more than able enough to pick up my bike when i droped it at a stop sign, lol, and im by no means "big", have kinda a runners build, so i dont think you would have a problem. newer bikes are pretty light, the older you go the heavier they get. good call on the msf course. i started on a 600 for my first streetbike, dirtbike expierence though. keep in mind that they only go as fast as you make them. good luck

Old 10-21-2005, 12:33 AM

IMHO, a 600 cc sportbike (regardless of year) is NOT a beginner's bike. They are not forgiving to the new rider and its very easy for the ner rider to get caught up in the speed and not pay attention to the mechanics of proper riding. My suggestion is to get something smaller (e.g. Ninja 250/500, CBR 400, etc), learn to ride it and learn what riding is all about (maybe even take it to the track and really learn how to carry corner speed), then get a bigger bike.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:17 AM

Second that. A sub-400lb 120hp motorcycle is not a beginner's bike. Buy something smaller, or a Suzuki SV650 is a great starter bike that your abilities can grow into.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

IMHO, a 600 cc sportbike (regardless of year) is NOT a beginner's bike. They are not forgiving to the new rider and its very easy for the ner rider to get caught up in the speed and not pay attention to the mechanics of proper riding. My suggestion is to get something smaller (e.g. Ninja 250/500, CBR 400, etc), learn to ride it and learn what riding is all about (maybe even take it to the track and really learn how to carry corner speed), then get a bigger bike.

your right there but hey if he wants a 600 let him have at it.... i would much rather see a beginner on a 600 than a busa but thats just me, i don' think anyone would have problems as long as you don't overstep your limit to what you can do.... just keep in mind that your new and you don't need to be tryin to bring it up on 1 or bust off 180 down the highway...

Old 10-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything smaller than a 600 would be great to learn on. The Honda 600 RR is not a toy. It has much power. Take this...an idiot can get on a 600 for the first time and kill himself doing something stupid like trying to keep up with his friends or impress someone. A wise person can get on a Hayabusa (1300) and stay within his limits and be just fine. First things first, make sure you've taken a good safety course...not just getting your license from your local dmv...I mean taking an approved motorcycle safety course, preferrably MSF.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:04 PM

Thanks guys for all the great opinions. I think I will look into the sv 650 instead of going with a cbr 600. Glad I came here because I was leaving today to purchase a new one, and that would of prolly been the biggest mistake of my life. Also I have heard that buying a ninja 250 is worthless because new rider out grows this bike within months, and they are actually hard to find because people want alot of money for them, is this true? On another note before I decide do you guys all think the sv 650 is the way to go? I would like to hear from more then one person on this because I almost made my sole decision on #2 comment.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:43 PM

glad i had so much influence. in my opinion, your no better off on the sv then with a cbr. sv's arnt exactly "weak" bikes power wise and they wiegh a lot more. if you were worried about keeping up a cbr than why get a bigger heavier bike. and while i do agree with evryone else that a 600 can be alot of bike, how many of us started on one, or something bigger?? and are just fine? in reality there is nothing that will happen to you going 75 mph on the freeway on a 600, that wont happen to you on a zx250. there not safer there just slower. if you have the constraint to ride with half a brain, then you wont have a problem with a 600. and just my thought, if you think a cbr 600 is too much for now (which theres nothing wrong with) get a gs 500 or something smaller, dont get a bigger bike, that just doesnt make sense. and yes...a sv650 is a bigger bike.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:00 PM

So if the sv 650 is a bigger bike then why would it be better for beginners? Sorry for all these questions. I wnt to start riding, but I don't want to regret it wants I get a bike.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:16 PM

The sv is not a bigger bike, it may be marginally heavier, but only by a hair. A v-twin power plant is much more predictable and more user friendly for beginners. They make more torque and the power band is down lower where it is more usable on the street. They are light and easy to flick around and also make an excellent track bike. Check on a few different forums, I think you'll find a number of experienced riders recommend the SV for beginners.

Quick Reply: Soon to be New Rider with questions