General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some help please...tighten oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help please...tighten oil filter

I changed the oil (1st time) yesterday. I need to know how to tighten down the oil filter. Im getting a very slight leak that forms at the bottom lip of the filter after riding. Its impossible to getturn those filter clampsin between thepipes.Anyone else have delt with that or know how to fix?? Thanks!!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Default RE: Some help please...tighten oil filter

Hand tight has always worked for me. Can't really help ya. But for future reference, that's why i use K&N filters on my RX7...it has a 1" nut on it so it's easy to tighten and loosen with a socket wrench in those hard to reach places.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Good job on the oil change. Hand tightening is all that I do, I mean literally I use just my hand to tighten it and it always works great. It's also good practice to rim the filter's rubber seal with new oil before installation. Try that and a little muscle and your leak should stop.

lol how's the neighbor?

Old 11-10-2007, 05:02 PM

Haha!! Funny you should ask. Her daughter comes to do laundry on the weekend and they both were just over for a beer. The ol saying 'like father, like son' is true about mothers and daughters. Both of them are big flirts but unlike most women, I think they would put their money where their mouth is. No more drama though...I told mom about a week ago that we need to just be normal neighbors and she's been pretty cool since then.

The filter....I put on a grip type glove and got it to turn alittle tighter, so hopefully that takes care of it. Its pretty hard to get a grip on though. Its one of those stainless steel Scotts filter. We'll see if that takes care of it. Thanks for the input!!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an adapter that takes the standard filter and adds a 3/8 socket on the end - then I just torqued it with a wrench per the manual.... - Seemed to work fine.

The only one I could find this year was metal - I was hoping to find a plastic one that wouldn't scratch my nice Mobil 1 filter... - Any auto place should have them.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

The leak may be from a piece of dirt/grime or part of the old gasket that is still on the sealing surface.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you smear a little oil on the rubber seal before you put it on? (yeah I know there's a one liner lurking in that one). Makes it easier to turn, so it seals properly.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
OJ

NEVER ever hand tighten a motorcycle oil filter! They require a torque of 15 ft to 20 lbs or so depending on model. You will not get even close to that with your hands. You need a filter tool shaped to your filter available form dealers and a torque wrench with extension bar. The reason is obvious. If the filter comes loose, you may die or be severely injured.(( Be warned. Cheers!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: OJ

NEVER ever hand tighten a motorcycle oil filter! They require a torque of 15 ft to 20 lbs or so depending on model. You will not get even close to that with your hands. You need a filter tool shaped to your filter available form dealers and a torque wrench with extension bar. The reason is obvious. If the filter comes loose, you may die or be severely injured.(( Be warned. Cheers!
I call Bull**** here

Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 PM

They require a torque of 15 ft to 20 lbs or so depending on model. You will not get even close to that with your hands.
Maybe not...if you're a limpwristed little twerp.

I hear what you're saying, OJ...but if you lube the seal w/ motor first you can get it tighter than you need...and will find out when you go to take it off. Believe me, i've been there.

Quick Reply: Some help please...tighten oil filter