General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some amazing craftsmanship right here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some amazing craftsmanship right here...

I dropped the seat of my F2 to this little upholstery shop a few weeks ago and complained to them about how slippery my seat was, and suspected that someone has sprayed silicone or something onto it. The old man that owns the shop asked me how much the bike has on the clock, I said 98tkm, he laughed no wonder the vinyl has come so slippery an brittle whilst showing it to me by pushing his thumb nail through the driver part. I left the seat to him with little apprehension about his skills as he usually does sofas and stuff with cloth, and of the fact that we had not agreed about the price as he said that he will bill according to the amount of work it requires... He also asked me if i would like some added surface softness to it since the old foam interior has become pretty grainy, and I said if it is possible without changing the looks then yes please. well, last thursday he called me, a full week ahead of what we had agreed, that it is done. When I went to pick it up my jaw dropped!

He had added a self adhesive 10mm foam sheet onto the original one to bind it together an to add comfortable, and totally re-done the leatherette(?) surface! When I took it and spun it around I was just astonished by the craftsmanship! Most of the seat jobs I have seen have been like an ants nest down below when they have been trying to hide the wrinkles by stretchig the heck out of the vinyl and shooting it in place with a tack-gun. This has the most pristine row surrounding the whole seat, and absolutely zero wrinkles.

When I cautiously said dare I ask how much is this job, and he answered, I cloud not breath for a second.

The job costed 30 euros! (39.80USD)

You could barely get the supplies for the job for that! If you would do it yourself there would be no money left for the job hours, and no way in hell I could match the quality!

I literally smiled an hour after that, and at the next two companies I went to that has some bike-enhtusiasts that asked me what`s so funny, I said nothing and just showed them the seat from my lorry`s window, they instantly asked me where I had it done, and they told me they were going there too!

Last edited by Mattson; 03-24-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's cool, I need to find someone local here in the states to do mine. My seat is HORRIBLE!!

BTW, any pics?

Nevermind, picture didn't show up at first!!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's some nice looking work! You'll enjoy that for sure.
--

Jim, when I still had my banana seat tail, I reupholstered the seat myself. Took a couple of hrs & only cost a few bucks for marine vinyl. You can do it! ;-)

Old 03-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by gunslinger1274 (" Formerly nepa_jim ")
That's cool, I need to find someone local here in the states to do mine. My seat is HORRIBLE!!

BTW, any pics?

Nevermind, picture didn't show up at first!!
How to recover your motorcycle seat on the cheap! - YouTube

Its very easy to do just make sure to put the vinyl in the drier for 5 mins to warm it up and make it really stretchy so when it cools it gets tighter.

costs me about 7 buck at joann fabrics for the vinyl and 3 bucks at walmart for loctite spray glue.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

As a plus I have to add, the place that I got it done is approx 400 meters away from the rentall hall that I and my friends co-rent(?) for our trucking companies.

The fact that the front curve is being sewed, and the overall quality of the job got me awwing at the price. I was expecting a bill of 80-100e, and would have paid it without batting an eyelid...

Old 03-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
3 bucks at walmart for loctite spray glue.
I have a can of that stuff too, costed 18e at the local harware store and I thought it was a bargain...

Just checked, it`s not Loctite, it`s BISON, but anyhow...

Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Mattson, the guy that did you seat deserves a nice bottle of something....
Very nice work.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 AM

thumbs up for me too, very nice work

Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

bit of a Simpsons fan, eh?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by regener8ed
bit of a Simpsons fan, eh?
Heh, my wife buys them, but cannot say I don`t enjoy watching them...

Funny no one has said nothing about that 2-string acoustic Flying-V diddly bow-banjo-thingy I made some time ago...