General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solve my Helmet Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Solve my Helmet Debate

People race motorcycles at over 20MPH. Every professional racer wears a helmet, it is manditory for a reason.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

People race motorcycles at over 20MPH. Every professional racer wears a helmet, it is manditory for a reason.
Awesome point!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not an awesome point to use, "We do it now, because we've always done it." That's not an effective logical argument. We can do better,but sometimes folks need to be wiped from the gene pool to be convinced.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM

buy him a bigger windscreen, a sockhat/skicap/toboggan/skullcap/beanie (or took for those of u north of the border), and a pair of earplugs...then hide his helmet...see how mad he gets when he doesn't have his "protection"...i bet he won't ride w/out it!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM

If you don't wear a helmet, you're an idiot.

And if you think it's your right to not wear a helmet, you're an idiot.

Try to think about the feelings of your family, and the people who have to scrape your brains off the road.'

The argument that helmets break necks is complete fallacy. Your neck is extremely flexibile (except when being twisted at an angle). Your skull isn't.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned

It's not an awesome point to use, "We do it now, because we've always done it." That's not an effective logical argument.
Professional Hockey didn't always require Helmets. There was a time when some of the veterans would play without while rookies had to play with. Downhill skiing didn't always require helmets. NASCAR didn't always require the HANS device, after Dale Earnhardt needlessly died it became manditory.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Ty

ORIGINAL: jerbear

He also won't agree that a helmet absorbs impact he claims " a helemt when you hit a wall or whatever will cause ur head to snap back harder than if just you head hit the wall resulting in much more neck injury. I argue that helmet will actually reduce neck injury because the helmet itself is absorbing the impact.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
That issue was addressed already in the article that Nauree posted. It is false. There is no real circumstance in which a helmetless rider is better off. You can put together these weird scenarios when a helmeted rider would die of helmet-induced neck injuries, but for it to actually happen the same accidentwouldproduce massively fatalwounds to the head of a helmetless individual. He is arguing that somehow an accident can occur where certain very specific requirements are met but at the same time assuming that the rest of the crash is not included. Any helmetless rider would die in an identical accident that killed a helmeted rider, period.

My foot could be ripped off by my boot if it gets hooked just right on the peg when I highside, should I ride barefoot?

My jacket could become caught as I slide under a semi and rip my arms and head off, should I ride without it?

My gloves could snag and rip my hand off, should I ride without those too.

There are ways to say that any piece of protection can produce negative results. The difference between us and your idiot roommate is being able to recognize that there will never be an accident that fits his criteria for a helmetless rider to be better off. If he doesn't want to believe it, tell him to take off his jacket, shoes, gloves, and anything else that could kill him.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 PM

Hey, in my accident, the metal nuckles on my gloves, ripped my skin when the glove itself started ripping, would I have been better off without gloves...

HELLLLLL NOOOOOOOO,

the impact would have probably broken a couple of bones in my hand and the ammount of road rash on my hand would have been enogh to severely restrict movement now. so ill take a gear induced injury any day twice, than a road induced one without gear.
Same goes for helmet. I would probably be faceless if it wasn't for mine.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM

When I put my bike in the ditch a couple years ago, I went sliding down the ditch face down. While watching grass, dirt and rocks going by my face' I thought to myself "this is kinda cool". If I wasn't wearing a helmet (along with my leathers), I don't feel I would have the same impression of the incident.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 PM

ur right...it would have been impressed all over ur face instead of ur helmet...

Quick Reply: Solve my Helmet Debate