General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So...

I was taking a rest on my 600, you know, start it up, just listen to it idle, daydream about the perfect curvey road that you have room to open up on...

Yah anyways, i was laying there on my one and only, and i do not know if it was me or if i am being too particular but at idle (1.5-2k) i hear this noise coming straight from the engine.Kinda like a knocking but more subtle. More like a clicking. I have no doubt that it is coming from the cylinders. Its an on and off type of clicking. Happens about every ten seconds give or take in irregular intervals for indeterminable amounts of times. A small clicking like the begining of a knock. Am I being too speculative or do i have what could be a nasty probem?

The noise seems to stop if i go above 3k rpm's.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: So...

Geez, sounds like you have the kind of garage where someone needs to knock before they walk in......
Anyways, could be your engine was not quite warm enough & oftens times you can get a knocking sound from the motor as it hunts for revs. Getting up close & personal with an engine will let you hear sounds they you would not normally hear. By the way, stay away from my bike.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 AM

That's just the engine running weird from the added back pressure on the system.

(For those of you a little too slow to get it... he is humping his exhaust pipe. har har har...)

Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 AM

Pull in the clutch while its running. If it goes away, its completely normal. those bikes are known for making odd noiseswhen the clutch is disengaged.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

*cough

Hey i was wearing a "helmet"
[8D]

Pace, hmmmm what model is she?

Yes, i think i am being a little too observing. I will try the clutch thing. You know when you are with a really fine woman and she is so beautiful and perfect that you can't stop thinking about her? Then you just investigate and investigate. When you are with her for a long period of time you will know all of her flaws inside and out. Its like having something thats too good to be true. I wont believe it until i find something connects it to mortality.

Its not the clutch. Thnx tho

Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 PM

could also be the timing chain tensioner. they also noted for the being loud.