General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow start leads to no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow start leads to no start

[sm=bangbang.gif]hey guys so I have been having a starting problem for as long as I can remeber since I go my 94 F2 used with 15k miles. I replaced spark plugs, the battery, got the carbs synced, tried using comercial carb cleaners, and changed the oil. The start up gets worse and worse, to where now i have to put the coke on almost every time unless it is hot, and hold the starter for a good 10 secs. it sounds like my carbs are not firing correctly because the exahust sounds and feels like it is puffing out exahust rather then steadily. I tried to take off my carbs to clean but I had trouble figuring out how to get them off. I also think part of the problem may be my mixture but I had no luck in figuring that out either. (how high does the temp gauge go with normal riding, b/c i read that a rich mix can cause overheating but i dont know if i am overheating, but it definatley smells like gas isnt being burnt all the way) Also it sounds like i have something like a bolt or something in my gas tank I can hear it sloshing around when i tilt it. I tried cleaning it out today but even though i took out all the gas and shook it I could not get that thing out. Sorry for the long explanation just trying to be through. I would appreciate any advice you might have, (including how i might better learn to take care of my bike, cause I cant afford the shop)

Old 12-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Default RE: Slow start leads to no start

Some ideas maybe......

Get a compression tester and test the cylinders (piston rings). Then check all spark plugs for spark while you turn it over (coil), research and verify the firing order (right wires on the right plugs), turn it over with plug wires off and see if they all are getting wet.

compression+gas+spark=combustion

Old 12-07-2006, 02:01 AM

Ok so from whatever i did with the gas tank the other day, my bike wont start now... it was cold this morning and at first it started slowly like usual and ran for a while, i left the choke all the way in for a little while let it run for like a min or 2 then when i went to ride off, rpm's dropped even though i put in the clutch and gave it gas and it died. And now i cant get it started, anyone know what i did wrong?

Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 AM

Did you take off lines from the gas tank? If so maybe you hooked one up wrong, like the vent tube or something. Maybe there is an air pocket in your fuel line. Try it with the tank open. Just some thoughts

Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 PM

yep missed a small tube thx