General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip-on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slip-on?

ok guys this is going to sound dumb but how can you tell if an exaust is slip on or not? i mean if it does not have any graphics.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Default RE: slip-on?

hahhaa. Sorry. A slip on to "me" is just an after market muffler and still using stock exhaust pipe. Then there's full exhuast which is aftermarket pipes and muffler.

Also I guess slip on could mean that is "slips" over the exhuast pipe. Some bikes' mufflers bolt on to the exhuast pipe with 4 bolts. I believe you can cut that flange off and then use a "slip" on muffler, which as long as the ID of the muffler inlet is fits over the OD of the exhuast pipe then it should work fine.

I bought a Scorpion can off of ebay and I have no idea what bikes its for and they dont put model #'s or anything on their cans, but it fit right over the pipe and works great.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM

generally, if there are two prices for the same thing, the more expensive one will be a full system, by about $500 or more. a slip on is generally just the mid pipe and silencer and is less than $600.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: cbr*sealik84

ok guys this is going to sound dumb but how can you tell if an exaust is slip on or not? i mean if it does not have any graphics.
To answer the question.

Usually you can tell by the blueing on the header pipes.

Most full exhaust aftermarket systems are stainless steel or better in material, while
stock exhausts are cheaper carbon based metral, dulled color after heating and some miles.

As far as performance differences, unless you are racing, a slip-on is fine.

A full system, along with re-jetted carbs and air filters usually gives an average of 5-15 HP gains.

But those few extra ponies will cost you about $2k or more if you really want the good stuff.

If you have Fi, and do a map ECU change, the results will be about the same, along with the other components already mentioned.

In other words, just a full exhaust and a re-jet is not going to make your bike into a 200 HP monster.

That comes boring, honing, piston size changes, lighter con-rods, radical profile cams, etc.